Hay Street, Perth
Hay Street is a major road through the central business district of Perth, Western Australia and adjacent suburbs. The street was named after Robert William Hay, the Permanent Under Secretary for Colonies. Sections of the road were called Howick Street and Twiss Street until 1897. One block in the central business section is now a pedestrian mall with extremely limited vehicular traffic, so that it is necessary to make a significant detour in order to drive the entire length of Hay Street.
Orientated east-west, the road starts at The Causeway travelling west through the suburbs of East Perth, Perth, West Perth, and Subiaco, where the road originally terminated at Subiaco. Unusually, the street numbers reset to 1 when Hay Street crosses Thomas Street and enters Subiaco.
A subway under the Fremantle railway line was constructed in the early 1900s, replaced when the railway was moved underground through Subiaco in 1999. From that point it becomes Underwood Avenue through Jolimont, Floreat (past Perry Lakes) and ends in Swanbourne.
A number of buildings are along the road, including:
The Hay Street pedestrian mall was the earliest conversion from street to mall in Perth, introduced in 1972, despite the road being a major thoroughfare. Through traffic was initially diverted to either Murray Street or St Georges Terrace.
- "Olde Perth" (PDF). Department of Land Administration, Western Australia. Archived (PDF) from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 19 March 2007.
- "Pedestrianisation: Hay Street: a central precinct. (Perth)", RAPIJ: Royal Australian Planning Institute Journal, 19 (May 1981): 61, May 1981, retrieved 20 September 2013