|Born||23 April 1897|
|Died||19 October 1997 100) (aged|
|Years active||1920–1936 (actor)|
|Spouse(s)||Phyllis Arnold (? – 1941); |
Mary Parker (predeceased him)
|Awards||Locarno International Film Festival|
Most Entertaining Film
1949 Adam and Evelyne
After training at the Italia Conti School, he made his acting debut age 12, in a production of The Winter's Tale. As an actor, most of his roles occurred between 1912 and 1936, not gaining as much attention as later he would as a director.
He worked as a screenwriter on three of the four films produced by Marcel Hellman's and Douglas Fairbanks Jr.'s production company Criterion Film Productions in the late 1930s, before switching to film direction in 1937, often with Marcel Hellman as producer. From 1940 to 1955, he had several box-office successes as director. This successful period was clouded by the 1941 death of his wife Phyllis in a Luftwaffe bombing raid.
- Dead Men are Dangerous (1939)
- The House of the Arrow (1940)
- The Day Will Dawn (1940)
- Jeannie (1941)
- Secret Mission (1942)
- Unpublished Story (1942)
- Talk About Jacqueline (1942)
- Dear Octopus (1943)
- English Without Tears (1944)
- Quiet Weekend (1946)
- Quartet (1948) with Ken Annakin, Arthur Crabtree and Ralph Smart
- Adam and Evelyne (1949)
- Trio (1950) with Ken Annakin and Pat Jackson
- Encore (1951) with Anthony Pelissier
- The Man Who Watched Trains Go By (1952)
- The Hour of 13 (1952)
- Isn't Life Wonderful! (1953)
- Rob Roy, the Highland Rogue (1953)
- Forbidden Cargo (1954)
- The Man Who Loved Redheads (1955)
- Sister Brown (1921)
- Jealousy (1931)
- East Lynne on the Western Front (1931)
- The Officers' Mess (1931)
- A Tight Corner (1932)
- The Callbox Mystery (1932)
- A Safe Proposition (1932)
- I Adore You (1933)
- Night of the Garter (1933)
- The Umbrella (1933)
- Yes, Madam (1933)
- The Diplomatic Lover (1934)
- Murder at the Inn (1934)
- Faces (1934)
- Two on a Doorstep (1936)
- League, The Broadway. "Harold French – Broadway Cast & Staff - IBDB". www.ibdb.com.
- "Harold French - Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- McFarlane, Brian (16 May 2016). "The Encyclopedia of British Film: Fourth edition". Oxford University Press – via Google Books.
- "Overview for Harold French". Turner Classic Movies.
- "Harold French - Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- "Harold French".
- "Jeannie (1941)".
- BritMovie: Harold French Archived 11 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine Linked 2012-10-14
- TV.com. "Harold French". TV.com.
- "Harold French". www.bigredbook.info.