Harden railway station
Harden railway station is a heritage-listed railway station located on the Main South line in New South Wales, Australia. It serves the town of Harden. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.
Eastbound view in May 2013
|Location||Station Street, Harden|
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||385.40 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Opened||12 March 1877|
Harden station opened on 12 March 1877 as Murrumburrah when the Main South line was extended from Binalong. It served as the terminus until the line was extended to Cootamundra on 1 November 1877. It was renamed North Murrumburrah on 5 September 1878 and finally Harden on 1 September 1880. In 1914, the platform was converted to an island platform as part of the duplication of the line.
In 1885, Harden became a junction station with the opening of the Blayney-Demondrille line as far as Young, ultimately reaching Blayney in 1888. Although it branched off the Main South line six kilometres south of the station at Demondrille, Harden was the terminus for many services and became an important railway town gaining a locomotive depot that lasted until the late 1960s.
Until the closure of the Blayney-Demondrille line in August 2009, Harden was a popular destination for Lachlan Valley Railway steam locomotive hauled trains from Cowra with an operational turntable maintained.
Harden is served by two daily NSW TrainLink XPT services in each direction operating between Sydney and Melbourne, and a twice weekly NSW TrainLink Xplorer between Griffith and Sydney split from Canberrra services at Goulburn. NSW TrainLink also operate a road coach service from Queanbeyan to Cootamundra via Harden station. This station is a request stop for the Melbourne XPT, so the train stops only if passengers booked to board/alight here.
|1||services to Sydney Central , Griffith & Melbourne||request stop for the Melbourne XPT (booked passengers only)|
The station consists of a second-class brick station building of a type 3 design and brick platforms, dating from 1877 with alterations in 1881 and 1919, two-storey refreshment rooms dating from 1884, a signal box with a hip roof dating from 1912, and the stationmaster's residence located at 51 Whitton Street. Remains of the former engine shed, turntable and coal stage support are included in the station's heritage listing.
Harden is a good example of a substantial station building and refreshment room complex that was designed for single line operation and converted to double track operation by adding a rear platform to the original street frontage and providing a subway to gain access to the station. The station has undergone a number of alterations, retains its early form and exhibits clearly the changes that have taken place. The signal boxes are excellent examples of large boxes from a major depot, most the facilities of which have now been removed. They demonstrate two varying style of construction. The remains of the former engine depot are reminders when Harden was a major engine servicing and changing station from the 1880s until replaced by Demondrille in 1922.
Harden railway station was listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999 having satisfied the following criteria.
The place possesses uncommon, rare or endangered aspects of the cultural or natural history of New South Wales.
- "Harden Railway Station and yard group". New South Wales State Heritage Register. Office of Environment and Heritage. H01165. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Harden Station NSWrail.net
- Harden Railway Precinct NSW Environment & Heritage
- "The New Timetable Reviewed" Railway Digest April 1984 page 107
- "Southern timetable". NSW Trainlink. 7 September 2019.