Hands on a Hard Body: The Documentary
Hands on a Hard Body: The Documentary is a 1997 film directed by S. R. Bindler documenting an endurance competition that took place in Longview, Texas. The yearly competition pits twenty-four contestants against each other to see who can keep their hand on a pickup truck for the longest amount of time. Whoever endures the longest without leaning on the truck or squatting wins the truck. Five-minute breaks are issued every hour, and fifteen-minute breaks every six hours.
|Hands on a Hard Body: The Documentary|
|Directed by||S.R. Bindler|
|Distributed by||Ideal Enterprises|
The documentary follows the 1995 competition which lasted for seventy-seven continuous hours. The film garnered the audience award for best documentary at the 1997 Los Angeles Film Festival.
At the time of his death film director Robert Altman was developing a feature film based on the documentary.
The documentary was adapted into a musical, Hands on a Hardbody, commissioned by La Jolla Playhouse, La Jolla, California. The book is by Doug Wright, music by Amanda Green and Trey Anastasio, lyrics by Amanda Green, musical staging by Sergio Trujillo and direction by Neil Pepe. After a run at La Jolla in 2012, the musical had a brief engement on Broadway at the Brooks Atkinson Theater with previews beginning February 23, 2013, opening on March 21, 2013, and closing on April 13, 2013, playing 28 previews and 28 performances. The musical received three Tony Award nominations.
- "Something for Nothing | This American Life". Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Robert Altman Has A Hard Body | Movie News | Empire". Empireonline.com. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- "Hands on a Hard Body: The Documentary | Twenty-four contestants compete in an endurance/sleep deprivation contest in order to win a brand new Nissan Hardbody truck". Handsonahardbodythemovie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- Hetrick, Adam and Jones, Kenneth. "New Musical 'Hands On A Hardbody' Will Roll Into La Jolla Playhouse in 2012" playbill.com, October 14, 2011
- "Hands On A Hardbody Listing at LaJolla" lajollaplayhouse.org, accessed July 8, 2012
- Jones, Kenneth. "Hands On a Hardbody Will Truck Into Broadways Brooks Atkinson Cast and Design Team Confirmed" Archived 2013-12-12 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, October 2, 2012
- "Hands on a Hardbody Will Close April 13" Archived 2013-04-12 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com
- Hands on a Hardbody - Broadway (2013-04-08). "Hands Off the Truck! Hands on a Hardbody Sets Broadway Closing Date | Broadway Buzz". Broadway.com. Retrieved 2014-08-07.
- Gans, Andrew. "Nominations Announced for 67th Annual Tony Awards; Kinky Boots Earns 13 Nominations" Archived 2013-05-03 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, April 30, 2013