Handelsblatt front page of the first issue
|Founded||16 May 1946|
|Circulation||127,546 (Print, 2018)|
42,000 (Digital, 2018)
History and profile
Handelsblatt was established in 1946. Since 2016, its editor-in-chief is Sven Afhüppe. Its publisher, Verlagsgruppe Handelsblatt, also publishes the weekly business magazine Wirtschaftswoche of which the editor-in-chief is Miriam Meckel since 2014. Handelsblatt's headquarters are in Düsseldorf.
Since September 2005 Handelsblatt has been offering an online lexicon called WirtschaftsWiki which features definitions of terms used in economics and politics. The database can be modified by any registered user.
In September 2006 Handelsblatt ranked all economists working in Germany, Austria and the German-speaking part of Switzerland. The paper is published in compact format.
An English-language digital edition was launched in 2014, called Handelsblatt Global Edition, which aimed to reach an international audience interested in German business and finance news. It was published five days a week from its editorial office in Berlin with editor-in-chief, Kevin O’Brien at the helm. In 2017, under a new editor-in-chief, Andreas Kluth, the publication avoided the direct translation of German-language articles and instead worked through differences between German and Anglophone journalistic traditions to add details that English readers were accustomed to. The site was renamed Handelsblatt Today in 2018, but, unable to create a business model and reach a substantial audience to generate revenue, Kluth announced that publication would cease on 27 February 2019.
- Carsten Croonenbroeck; Roman Matkovskyy (July 2013). "Is the Market Held by Institutional Investors? The Disposition Effect Revisited" (Discussion paper. No: 338). European University Viadrina Frankfurt. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- Robert G. Picard, ed. (2002). Media Firms: Structures, Operations, and Performance. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. p. 61. Retrieved 26 December 2014. – via Questia (subscription required)
- Gabor Steingart new CEO of Verlagsgruppe Handelsblatt. Horizont.net, 4 November 2012.
- "Handelsblatt and WiWo continue to lead the German market". Advance Media. Archived from the original on 3 February 2015. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "German Online Newspapers and Magazines". Almania Information Center. Archived from the original on 2 January 2015. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Wirtschaftslexikon". Handelsblatt. Retrieved 3 February 2015.
- "English summary" of the ranking
- "References". Tolerans. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- IVW - Informationsgemeinschaft zur Feststellung der Verbreitung von Werbeträgern e.V
- ""Handelsblatt" bringt englischsprachige Ausgabe an den Start". Focus Online. Hubert Burda Media. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Kluth, Andreas (27 February 2019). "Farewell: What I learned about journalism while running Handelsblatt Today". Handelsblatt Today. Handelsblatt GmbH. Archived from the original on 5 December 2019. Retrieved 5 December 2019.
- Kluth, Andreas (1 November 2018). "Handelsblatt Today: About us". Handelsblatt Today. Handelsblatt GmbH. Archived from the original on 5 December 2019. Retrieved 5 December 2019.