Hack (TV series)
Hack is an American crime drama television series, created and written by David Koepp, that aired on CBS in the United States from September 27, 2002 to March 13, 2004, having 40 episodes broadcast over two seasons. The series centers on the fictional life of a former Philadelphia police officer, Polish-American Mike Olshansky (David Morse), who leaves the force after being accused of corruption, and now works as a taxi driver in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
|Created by||David Koepp|
|Theme music composer|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||40 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Original release||September 27, 2002 –|
March 13, 2004
Mike Olshansky (David Morse), a Philadelphia police officer, leaves the force after being accused of corruption. Although the charges were never clearly proven, Olshansky, riddled with guilt, considers it his duty to make up for his past wrongs by helping those the police will not help. Olshansky saves many lives and people by going above and beyond the call of duty, becoming a kind of heroic vigilante.
He receives "inside" help from within the police force from his ex-partner Marcellus Washington (Andre Braugher), who often comes close to risking his own career. Meanwhile, he tries to repair his relationships and rebuild his life after losing his marriage, his son's admiration, his professional identity and his reputation.
The series was produced by The Thomas Carter Company, Pariah, Big Ticket Television and CBS Productions. David Morse said of his role as Olshansky; “I think I can really live with Olshansky. We can go a lot of places. And as an actor, being in this kind of production is pretty unheard of. I didn’t even think it was possible. To actually go home every day and see my kids is a great thing….I like being a dad. I like going to the grocery store and cooking every night."
Notably, Hack would go on to become one of the last series to air on Saturdays in the United States for over a decade, as during the series' tenure, networks began to remove first-run scripted programming from the prime-time slot on Saturdays.
The show also aired in the United Kingdom on ITV3, being only one of two original dramas to be shown on the channel's launch night on November 1, 2004. The final four episodes of the first season never aired on ITV3, as the network allowed the broadcast rights to lapse before they were shown; however, both seasons later aired in their entirety on CBS Drama and CBS Action, beginning with the first season on February 10, 2015. Episodes were broadcast weekdays at 10:00pm.
The series also in Australia on Network Ten and in France on M6. In the United States, the series re-run on Crime & Investigation, AXS TV, Universal TV and GetTV. On GetTV, episodes aired at 3:00pm weekdays from April 24, 2017. Both series were also available for streaming on Netflix, however have since been removed.
On March 8, 2016, CBS Home Entertainment released Hack: Season 1 on DVD in Region 1 via Amazon.com's CreateSpace program. This is a Manufacture on Demand (MOD) release, available exclusively through Amazon.com.
Cast listed by number of episodes in which they appeared
- David Morse as Mike Olshansky
- Andre Braugher as Marcellus Washington
- Matthew Borish as Mikey Olshansky
- George Dzundza as Father Tom Grzelak (Season 1)
- Donna Murphy as Heather Olshansky (Season 1)
- Matt Czuchry as Jamie Farrel (Season 2)
- Jacqueline Torres as Liz Garza (Season 2)
- JoAnna Rhinehart as Deborah Washington
- Paul Adelstein as Aldo Rossi
- Bebe Neuwirth as Faith O'Connor (Season 1)
- Gregg Edelman as Ryan Ambrose
- Cindy Katz as Bettina Corwin
- Cameron Ball as Ashton Washington
Season 1 (2002–2003)
Season 2 (2003–2004)
- Scripted programming returned to Saturdays in 2017 with the series Ransom, on CBS.
- The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows, 1946–present. Ballantine Books. 2003. p. 497. ISBN 0-345-45542-8.
- "Hack – An Unsung Great TV Show; CBS 2002 – 2004 starring David Morse". The Village Smith. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Hack (CBS 2002, David Morse, Andre Braugher)". Memorable TV. 24 August 2018. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "For Actor, David Morse, 'Hack' Role Hits Close to Home". Urban Ministry. 26 September 2002. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "ITV3 Launches Tonight - Including New 'Rebus' Detective Outing". Campaign Live. Retrieved 28 November 2018.
- "Brand New To CBS Drama - Hack". CBS. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Hack with David Morse and Andre Braugher joins GetTV's Daytime Lineup". GetTV. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "'Season 1' of the 2002 Show Starring David Morse...Now on DVD!". TVShowsonDVD.com. 10 March 2016. Archived from the original on 2016-03-12. Retrieved 29 November 2018.
- "Hack - Series and Episode Guide". Radio Times. Retrieved 29 November 2018.