HSF Knossos Palace
HSF Knossos Palace is a Ro-Pax high speed ferry, built in 2000 at the Sestri Ponente shipyards by Fincantieri and owned by Minoan Lines. It can accommodate up to 2,500 passengers and 700 cars, and has 758 beds plus 742 airseats for passengers. The vessel is powered by four 4x Wärtsilä 16V46C diesel engines with a combined power of 67,517 kW, which give her a top speed of 31,6 knots.
|Name:||HSF Knossos Palace|
|Namesake:||Ancient palace of Knossos|
|Port of registry:||
|Builder:||Sestri Ponente shipyards|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9204063Call sign: SYQO MMSI number: 237641000|
|Tonnage:||24,352 GT5,493 DWT|
|Length:||214 m (702 ft)|
|Beam:||26.4 m (87 ft)|
|Height:||7.10 m (23 ft)|
|Installed power:||Four diesel engines, 67,517 kW (combined)|
|Capacity:||2,500 passengers700 cars|
Knossos Palace serves the overnight route Piraeus - Heraklio and Heraklio - Piraeus, except for some rare occasions in which it replaces other ships of Minoan Lines in their routes. During the holiday season, it occasionally operates during daytime, completing her voyage in 6 hours.
Accidents and incidents
On November 19, 2003 Knossos Palace was sailing 40 nm northwest of Heraklion en route from Piraeus when a fire broke out on board. The fire was caused by a truck in the vessel's garage that was carrying chemicals. The crew swiftly dealt with the emergency and the fire was put out using the sprinkler system before causing major damage. However, the fire damaged the cables powering the passenger drawbridge, which became inoperable. As a result, an airport staircase had to be brought to the port in order to allow safe disembarkation.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Knossos Palace.|
- "Knossos Palace (IMO:9204063)". Mesametaforas.gr. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "6059". Fincantieri.com. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Knossos Palace - Μινωικές Γραμμές". Ferries.gr. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Πλοίο KNOSSOS PALACE (Ro-Ro/Passenger Ship): πληροφορίες και τρέχουσα θέση | IMO 9204063, MMSI 237641000, Callsign SYNR | Σημαία Greece | AIS Marine Traffic". Marinetraffic.com. 2015-09-28. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Ferry fire, passenger ire". ekathimerini.com. Retrieved 2016-05-13.
- "Macedonian Press Agency: News in English, 03-11-19". hri.org. Retrieved 2016-05-13.