HMS Fury (1814)
Image depicting Hecla and Fury, by Arthur Parsey, 1823
|Ordered:||5 June 1813|
|Builder:||Mrs Mary Ross, Rochester, Kent|
|Laid down:||September 1813|
|Launched:||4 April 1814|
|Reclassified:||Converted to Arctic discovery vessel, 1821|
|Fate:||Bilged in Prince Regent Inlet, Baffin Island and abandoned, 25 August 1825|
|Class and type:||Hecla-class bomb vessel|
|Tons burthen:||372 1⁄94 tons bm|
|Beam:||28 ft 6 in (8.7 m)|
|Depth of hold:||13 ft 10 in (4.22 m)|
|Sail plan:||Full rigged|
The ship was ordered on 5 June 1813 from the yard of Mrs Mary Ross, at Rochester, Kent, laid down in September, and launched on 4 April 1814.
Between November 1820 and April 1821, Fury was converted to an Arctic exploration ship and re-rated as a sloop. Commander William Edward Parry commissioned her in December 1820, and Fury then made two journeys to the Arctic, both in company with her sister ship, Hecla.
Her first Arctic journey, in 1821, was Parry's second in search of the Northwest Passage. The farthest point on this trip, the perpetually frozen strait between Foxe Basin and the Gulf of Boothia, was named after the two ships: Fury and Hecla Strait.
On her second Arctic trip, Fury was commanded by Henry Parkyns Hoppner while Parry, in overall command of the expedition, moved to Hecla. This voyage was disastrous for Fury. She was damaged by ice while overwintering and was abandoned on 25 August 1825, at what has since been called Fury Beach on Somerset Island. Her stores were unloaded onto the beach and later came to the rescue of John Ross, who traveled overland to the abandoned cache when he lost his ship further south in the Gulf of Boothia on his 1829 expedition.
In 1956, Captain T.C. Pullen, RCN, sailed HMCS Labrador on an expedition through the Northwest Passage. During this voyage Labrador recovered two Admiralty Pattern anchors on Fury Beach, Somerset Island. The anchors were left there in 1825 by the crews of Fury and Hecla, with stores, boats, and other useful items, as Fury had been beset in ice and had to be abandoned.
The anchors were a landmark for sailors for 136 years. The gear was left there for future explorers to use in an emergency and because there was no space in Hecla for all of the equipment. The cache left behind did indeed prove useful to mariners years later.
Labrador transported the artifacts to Halifax, Nova Scotia, and they were placed in the Maritime Command Museum (1961). In 1972, Fury's anchors were moved to CCG Base Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. In 1981, the anchors were removed to the Canadian Coast Guard College at Sydney, Nova Scotia. In 1991, the relics were prepared to be part of a popular exhibit. On 6 May 1998, the anchors were donated by the Canadian Forces Maritime Command (MARCOM) to the Collège militaire royal de Saint-Jean at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. Currently, the anchors are displayed at the northeastern corner of the parade square, and are in the custody of le Musèe du Fort Saint-Jean.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8.
- Edinger, Ray (2003). Fury Beach: The Four-Year Odyssey of Captain John Ross and the Victory. Berkley. ISBN 0-425-18845-0.
- Winfield, Rif (2007). British Warships of the Age of Sail 1794–1817: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates. Seaforth. ISBN 1-86176-246-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to HMS Fury.|