HMS Ambuscade (F172)
Ambuscade firing her 4.5-inch gun
|Laid down:||1 September 1971|
|Launched:||18 January 1973|
|Commissioned:||5 September 1975|
|Decommissioned:||28 July 1993|
|Identification:||Pennant number: F172|
|Fate:||Sold to Pakistan on 28 July 1993|
|Class and type:||Type 21 frigate|
|Displacement:||3,250 tons full load|
|Length:||384 ft (117 m)|
|Beam:||41 ft 9 in (12.73 m)|
|Draught:||19 ft 6 in (5.94 m)|
|Speed:||32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)|
|Aircraft carried:||1 × Westland Wasp helicopter, later refitted for 1 × Westland Lynx|
Ambuscade was launched on 18 January 1973 by Lady Griffin, wife of the Controller of the Navy, and was commissioned at Devonport on 5 September 1975. During 1976 and 1977 her commander was Peter Abbott who subsequently attained Flag rank.
In late 1984, suffering from cracking in her hull, she was taken in for refitting, with a steel plate being welded down each side of the ship. At the same time modifications were made to reduce hull noise. Exocet launchers were also added in 'B' position and 3-inch launchers relocated to 02 deck midships.
|1977||1977||Standing Naval Force Atlantic||6 months|
|1978||1978||5th Frigate Squadron and cruiser HMS Blake. Western Atlantic and Pacific||5 months|
|1979||1979||Belize and West Indies Guardship|
|1980||1980||Refit at Devonport|
|1981||1982||Sea training. Armilla Patrol|
|1982||1982||South Atlantic (Falklands War)|
|1983||1983||Collision while on Armilla Patrol|
|1983||1984||West Indies Guardship|
|1984||1986||Refit at Devonport|
|1988||1988||West Indies Guardship|
|1989||1989||UK and Europe|
|1991||1991||West Indies Guardship|
|1993||1993||Sold to the Pakistan Navy|
- Gough, Richie (30 August 2014). "Ambuscade Service History". Type 21 Club. Retrieved 9 October 2019.
- Gough, Richie (30 August 2014). "HMS Ambuscade (F172)". Type 21 Club. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "HMS Ambuscade". ClydeBuilt Database. Archived from the original on 6 November 2004. Retrieved 8 November 2009.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "Collision with USS Dale 1983". HMS Ambuscade Association. Retrieved 8 November 2009.
- "Air-sea aid for holed schooner". The Times (61853). London. 9 June 1984. col A, B, p. 3.
- "RN Career and Programme". HMS Ambuscade Association. Retrieved 9 October 2019.
- Colledge, J. J.; Warlow, Ben (2006) . Ships of the Royal Navy: The Complete Record of all Fighting Ships of the Royal Navy (Rev. ed.). London: Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-281-8.
- Marriott, Leo (1983). Royal Navy Frigates 1945–1983. Surrey: Ian Allan Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7110-1322-3.
- "Home". HMS 'Ambuscade' Association.