HMAS Mindari is a former Royal Australian Navy (RAN) gunnery instruction centre located on Cowper Wharf Road in Woolloomooloo, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, that was in operation during World War II.
|Woolloomooloo, Sydney, New South Wales in Australia|
The Gunnery, at one time HMAS Mindari, 43-51 Cowper Wharf Road, Woolloomooloo.
|In use||1 January 1943 – 30 April 1948|
Prior to its resumption and later acquisition by the Australian Government for defence purposes, the site was built by John Fairfax & Sons as a store for The Sydney Morning Herald. HMAS Mindari was commissioned on 1 July 1945 and was decommissioned on 30 April 1948 and was initially used as a naval film laboratory and cinema before being repurposed as the Gunnery Art Gallery under the management of the Ministry for the Arts.
A newspaper article in 1945 reported that "HMAS Mindari is a gunnery instructional centre in Woolloomooloo. Its principal activity has been the training of Australian and Allied merchant seamen in the use of guns. For this it used a 'dome,' on the ceiling of which a cinema projects a plane. Members of the class shoot at this with Oerlikons and Bofors guns while attempts to distract their aim are made by the realistic sound of guns and planes."
- Australian War Memorial Photos relating to Naval Gunnery Instructional School at Woolloomooloo. Retrieved 12 May 2019.
- "ARTSPACE VISUAL ARTS CENTER – WOOLLOOMOOLOO IN SYDNEY (PHOTOS)". Leonard Epstein Photography. Leonard Epstein. 17 December 2014. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Australian Naval History on 1 July 1945". Naval Historical Society of Australia Inc. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- "Australian Naval History on 30 April 1948". Naval Historical Society of Australia Inc. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- R.A.N. ESTABLISHMENTS. Cairns Post, 17 September 1945, p. 5. Accessed 10 May 2019