HMAS Maitland (naval base)
formerly HMAS Penguin (III)
|Newcastle, New South Wales in Australia|
|In use||1 August 1940 – 21 September 1946|
The depot was built alongside an army establishment known as Camp Shortland. HMAS Maitlandwas linked to HMAS Kuttabul, the main naval base in Sydney, and was originally known as HMAS Penguin (III). The base was renamed HMAS Maitland on 1 August 1940. Maitland had three components:
- the Australian Navy Cadets group, Training Ship Tobruk;
- Newcastle Customs House; and
- the military establishment on Shepherd's Hill.
The following ships were associated with Maitland:
- The Group 77 Minesweepers: HMAS Bermagui, HMAS Uki, and HMAS Narani; and
- The examination vessel HMAS Adele.
Maitland was decommissioned on 21 September 1946. During her operation, 56 officers and 300 sailors were trained at the facility.
- Rice, Frank; Rice, Jacqueline (2006). Not Just a Stone Frigate!: HMAS Maitland, Newcastle, New South Wales, 1940–1946. Eleebana: F. & J. Rice. ISBN 9780980286700.
- Straczek, J.H. (1996). Royal Australian Navy: A-Z Ships, Aircraft and Shore Establishments. Sydney: Navy Public Affairs. ISBN 1876043784.