HMAS Kookaburra docked at Garden Island
|Builder:||Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Company|
|Laid down:||4 July 1938|
|Launched:||29 October 1938|
|Commissioned:||28 February 1939|
|Decommissioned:||15 January 1946|
|Recommissioned:||11 May 1956|
|Decommissioned:||3 December 1958|
|Fate:||Sold in August 1965, scuttled in March 1970|
|Class and type:||Net-class Boom Defence Vessel|
|Length:||160 ft (49 m)|
|Beam:||26 ft 6 in (8.08 m)|
|Draught:||10 ft 3 in (3.12 m)|
|Propulsion:||Triple-expansion steam engine|
|Speed:||9.5 knots (17.6 km/h; 10.9 mph)|
|Armament:||1 × 3-inch anti-aircraft gun, 2 × Vickers machine guns|
Kookaburra was of three ships ordered by the Royal Australian Navy for use as boom-net defence vessels. She was laid down by the Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Company at Cockatoo Island Dockyard in Sydney on 4 April 1938, launched on 29 October 1938, and commissioned into the RAN on 28 February 1939.
Originally used as boom defence ship and anti-submarine training vessel in Sydney, Kookaburra was transferred to Darwin in April 1940. The ship served as a boom defense and examination vessel in Darwin, and remained there until the end of World War II, with the exception of a refit in Brisbane between September 1942 and February 1943. Kookaburra received the battle honour "Darwin 1942-43" for her wartime service.
On 15 January 1946, Kookaburra was paid off into reserve, was briefly recommissioned for a voyage to Sydney in 1950, and underwent conversion to a "Special Duties Vessel". Kookaburra was recommissioned again on 11 May 1956 as a survey and general duties ship.
Decommissioning and fate
- David Stevens (2005). A Critical Vulnerability, pg 103
- Royal Australian Navy, HMAS Kookaburra (I)
- "Navy Marks 109th Birthday With Historic Changes To Battle Honours". Royal Australian Navy. 1 March 2010. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Royal Australian Navy Ship/Unit Battle Honours" (PDF). Royal Australian Navy. 1 March 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 June 2011. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- Stevens, David (2005). A Critical Vulnerability: the impact of the submarine threat on Australia's maritime defense 1915-1954. Papers in Australian Maritime Affairs. No. 15. Canberra: Sea Power Centre Australia. ISBN 0-642-29625-1. ISSN 1327-5658. OCLC 62548623.
- "HMAS Kookaburra (I)". Royal Australian Navy. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2008.