HMAS Arrow (P 88)
HMAS Arrow beached in Francis Bay in early 1975
|Launched:||17 February 1968|
|Commissioned:||3 July 1968|
|Motto:||"Straight as an Arrow"|
|Fate:||Destroyed by Cyclone Tracy on 25 December 1974|
|Class and type:||Attack class patrol boat|
|Length:||107.6 ft (32.8 m) length overall|
|Beam:||20 ft (6.1 m)|
|Speed:||24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)|
|Range:||1,200 nautical miles (2,200 km; 1,400 mi) at 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 16 sailors|
Design and construction
The Attack class was ordered in 1964 to operate in Australian waters as patrol boats (based on lessons learned through using the Ton class minesweepers on patrols of Borneo during the Indonesia-Malaysia Confrontation), and to replace a variety of old patrol, search-and-rescue, and general-purpose craft. Initially, nine were ordered for the RAN, with another five for Papua New Guinea's Australian-run coastal security force, although another six ships were ordered to bring the class to twenty vessels. The patrol boats had a displacement of 100 tons at standard load and 146 tons at full load, were 107.6 feet (32.8 m) in length overall, had a beam of 20 feet (6.1 m), and draughts of 6.4 feet (2.0 m) at standard load, and 7.3 feet (2.2 m) at full load. Propulsion machinery consisted of two 16-cylinder Paxman YJCM diesel engines, which supplied 3,460 shaft horsepower (2,580 kW) to the two propellers. The vessels could achieve a top speed of 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph), and had a range of 1,200 nautical miles (2,200 km; 1,400 mi) at 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph). The ship's company consisted of three officers and sixteen sailors. Main armament was a bow-mounted Bofors 40 mm gun, supplemented by two .50 calibre M2 Browning machine guns and various small arms. The ships were designed with as many commercial components as possible: the Attacks were to operate in remote regions of Australia and New Guinea, and a town's hardware store would be more accessible than home base in a mechanical emergency.
Arrow was transferred to the Melbourne Division of the Royal Australian Navy Reserve in mid-1968, then was returned to active service in the early 1970s.
On the 24th of April 2019 a Memorial, to HMAS Arrow and the sailors that lost their lives, was unveiled at the Royal Flying Doctor Service and The Bombing of Darwin Tourist Facility at Stokes Hill Wharf by two surviving crew members and family of the two sailors that died.
- Gillett, Australian and New Zealand Ships since 1946, p. 86
- Blackman (ed.), Jane's Fighting Ships, 1968–69, p. 18
- The patrol boat, Australian National Maritime Museum
- Gillett, Australian and New Zealand Ships since 1946, p. 87
- "Defence:Commemoration Services". Parliament of Australia Hansard. 10 February 2005. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- Blackman, Raymond, ed. (1968). Jane's Fighting Ships, 1968–69 (71st ed.). London: Jane's Publishing Company. OCLC 123786869.
- Gillett, Ross (1988). Australian and New Zealand Warships since 1946. Brookvale, NSW: Child & Associates. ISBN 0-86777-219-0. OCLC 23470364.
- "The patrol boat". Australian National Maritime Museum. Retrieved 30 June 2011.