HMAS Adroit (P 82)
HMAS Adroit (at right) with three other Attack class patrol boats
|Builder:||Evans Deakin and Company|
|Laid down:||August 1967|
|Launched:||3 February 1968|
|Commissioned:||17 August 1968|
|Decommissioned:||28 March 1992|
|Fate:||Sunk as target|
|Class and type:||Attack-class patrol boat|
|Length:||107.6 ft (32.8 m) length overall|
|Beam:||20 ft (6.1 m)|
|Speed:||24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph)|
|Range:||1,200 nautical miles (2,200 km; 1,400 mi) at 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)|
|Complement:||3 officers, 16 sailors|
Design and construction
The Attack class was ordered in 1964 to operate in Australian waters as patrol boats, based on lessons learned through using the Ton-class minesweepers on patrols around Borneo during the Indonesia-Malaysia Confrontation, and to replace a variety of old patrol, search-and-rescue, and general-purpose craft. Initially, nine were ordered for the RAN, with another five for Papua New Guinea's Australian-run coastal security force, although another six ships were ordered to bring the class to twenty vessels. The patrol boats had a displacement of 100 tons at standard load and 146 tons at full load, were 107.6 feet (32.8 m) in length overall, had a beam of 20 feet (6.1 m), and draughts of 6.4 feet (2.0 m) at standard load, and 7.3 feet (2.2 m) at full load. Their propulsion machinery consisted of two 16-cylinder Paxman YJCM diesel engines, which supplied 3,460 shaft horsepower (2,580 kW) to the two propellers. The vessels could achieve a top speed of 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph), and had a range of 1,200 nautical miles (2,200 km; 1,400 mi) at 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph). The ship's company consisted of three officers and sixteen sailors. The main armament was a bow-mounted Bofors 40 mm gun, which was supplemented by two .50 calibre M2 Browning machine guns and various small arms. The ships were designed with as many commercial components as possible: the Attacks were to operate in remote regions of Australia and New Guinea, and a town's hardware store would be more accessible than home base in a mechanical emergency.
The patrol boat was transferred to the Fremantle Port Division of the Royal Australian Navy Reserve in March 1983.
Adroit paid off on 28 March 1992. The patrol boat was sunk as a target by A-4 Skyhawk aircraft of No. 2 Squadron RNZAF on 8 August 1994. The wreck is located in the Rottnest ship graveyard, west of Rottnest Island.
- Gillett, Australian and New Zealand Ships Since 1946, p. 86
- Blackman (ed.), Jane's Fighting Ships, 1968–69, p. 18
- The Patrol Boat, Australian National Maritime Museum
- Gillett, Australian and New Zealand Ships Since 1946, p. 87
- Garratt, Dena; Green, Jeremy (2006) . Précis of the wrecks in the ship’s graveyard, Rottnest (PDF). Report—Department of Maritime Archaeology (Report). Western Australian Museum. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Blackman, Raymond, ed. (1968). Jane's Fighting Ships, 1968–69 (71st ed.). London: Jane's Publishing Company. OCLC 123786869.
- Gillett, Ross (1988). Australian and New Zealand Warships Since 1946. Brookvale, New South Wales: Child & Associates. ISBN 0-86777-219-0. OCLC 23470364.
- "The Patrol Boat". Australian National Maritime Museum. Retrieved 30 June 2011.