Högby Church, Öland
Högby Church, view of the exterior
|Denomination||Church of Sweden|
History and architecture
Högby Church was built during the Middle Ages; construction started in the middle of the 12th century. The church tower, built during the second half of the 12th century, is however the only part that remains of the medieval church. The rest of the church was demolished during the 19th century and replaced with the current structure. The church still contains several furnishings from the older church. Among them is an altarpiece dedicated to Mary from the 15th century (the Madonna itself is from the 14th century). There is also an altarpiece from the 15th century dedicated to Saint Peter and a triumphal cross from circa 1500.
Media related to Högby Church at Wikimedia Commons