Gwyneth Strong (born 2 December 1959) is an English actress. She is best known for her role in the BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses as Cassandra, the love interest and, later, wife of Rodney (Nicholas Lyndhurst).
|Born||2 December 1959|
|Residence||Bexhill, East Sussex, England|
|Television||Only Fools and Horses|
Jesse Birdsall (m. 2000)
Strong's first acting appearance was in the Royal Court Theatre's production Live Like Pigs, when she was eleven. In 1973, whilst a pupil at Holland Park School, she appeared in the horror film Nothing But the Night as Mary Valley, and she was a regular in the children's TV series The Flockton Flyer between 1977 and 1979, as Jan Carter.
Strong gained mainstream recognition as Cassandra Parry, the love interest and later wife of Rodney Trotter, in Only Fools and Horses, debuting in the series' sixth season. She also appeared in the "Observation" segment about Detective Samantha Smith made for the 1990 series of The Krypton Factor, the two-part drama serial The Missing Postman as WPC Rachel McMahon, the BBC drama Real Women from 1997 to 1998, as Hetty in ITV's Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married (1999), and in BBC drama Casualty in 2013 as Jim Brodie's wife, Elizabeth.
Strong featured in the television film It's A Lovely Day Tomorrow (1975), written by Bernard Kops and directed by John Goldschmidt, depicting the real-life drama of the Bethnal Green tube disaster in the Second World War. She also appeared in the "True Confessions" two-part episode of the series A Touch of Frost, reuniting her on screen with her Only Fools and Horses co-star David Jason.
She appeared on the West End stage in 2008, in the musical Our House, in which she played Kath Casey. In May 2010, Strong appeared in an episode of Midsomer Murders. In 2011, Strong joined the cast of Round Heeled Woman at the Aldwych Theatre.
Strong married former Footballers' Wives and Eldorado star Jesse Birdsall on 15 July 2000. They have one son Oscar (born 1988), and one daughter Lottie (born 1991). She now lives in Bexhill, East Sussex.
Filmography and TV roles
- The Other Window (1975) (episode of Shadows)
- Nothing But the Night (1973)
- Crown Court – "A Matter of Faith" (1977)
- HoneyAnn (1978) (episode of Shadows)
- Flockton Flyer (TV series) (1977 - 1978)
- Bloody Kids (1980)
- The Story of Ruth (1981)
- Minder (1982)
- Parker (1985)
- White City (1985)
- King of the Ghetto (1986)
- Cry Freedom (1987)
- Only Fools and Horses (1989–2003)
- Afraid of the Dark (1991)
- Thin Ice (1995)
- Crimetime (1996)
- Silent Witness (1996)
- A Touch Of Frost (1997)
- Suzie Gold (2003)
- Doctors (2004)
- Murder in Suburbia (2004)
- New Tricks (2007)
- Midsomer Murders (2010)
- In Love with Alma Cogan (2011)
- Casualty (2013)
- The Great Train Robbery (2013)
- EastEnders (2016)
- Our House (2008)
- Alarms & Excursions (2011)
- A Round Heeled Woman (2011)
- Chapman, Hannah, ed. (7 December 2018). "Mousetrap play to be performed". Darlington & Stockton Times (49–2018). p. 38. ISSN 2516-5348.
- "Gwyneth Strong Joins A ROUND HEELED WOMAN At Aldwych Theatre". Broadway World. Broadway World. Retrieved 14 July 2018.