|Grande America oil spill|
|Location||Bay of Biscay, France|
|Date||12 March 2019|
|Cause||Foundering of the Grande America cargo ship|
|Volume||ca. 2,200 tonnes (4,900,000 lb) marine fuel (metric tonnes)|
|Area||ca. 10 km (6.2 mi) × 1 km (0.62 mi)|
On 10 March 2019, Grande America caught fire while traveling the Atlantic Ocean between France and Spain on its route from Hamburg (Germany) to Casablanca (Morocco), and sank 15,000 feet into the Bay of Biscay on 12 March. The 27 people on board were rescued by HMS Argyll after they had abandoned the ship and boarded a lifeboat on 11 March.
An oil spill of about 10 km (6.2 mi) in length and 1 km (0.62 mi) in width began moving towards the French coast line, threatening the areas around La Rochelle, Biarritz and Vendée. The ship was carrying 365 containers, of which 45 contained material deemed to be hazardous, including 10 tonnes of hydrochloric acid and 70 tonnes of sulfuric acid.
The ship also contained dozens of vehicles that were to be delivered to Brazilian importers, including 37 Porsche vehicles. Four of these were Porsche's last units of the 911 GT2 RS, which went out of production in February 2019. The sinking led to Porsche reactivating the production line for the Porsche 911 GT2 RS, so that these four last units could be delivered to their owners in Brazil.
The wreck was located by Island Pride (a vessel leased to Ocean Infinity) that arrived 30 March and started inspecting the wreck site using remotely operated underwater vehicles (ROVs). Subseqently, Ocean Infinity’s ROVs sealed light leaks of oil discovered during the inspection.
- "Fire-Stricken Grande America Sinks off France". Worldmaritimenews.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Grimaldi confirm Grande America fire started in container cargo". FreightWaves.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Royal Navy rescues container ship crew after it goes up in flames in Bay of Biscay (The Independent)". Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Nach Schiffsuntergang droht Frankreichs Küste eine Ölpest". Tagesschau.de (in German). Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Grande America: France braces for oil spill damage after ship blaze". 14 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Mate Petrany (19 March 2019). "Porsche Is Restarting 911 GT2 RS Production to Replace Cars Lost at Sea". Road and Track. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- Michael Karkafiris (19 March 2019). "Cargo Ship Carrying New 911 GT2 RS' Sinks, Porsche To Resume Production Of Model (Update)". Retrieved 20 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Grande America (ship, 1997).|
- "Schedule". Net.grimaldi.co.uk. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "GRANDE AMERICA (RoRo ship)". FleetMon.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "GRANDE AMERICA, Ro-Ro Cargo Ship – Details and current position – IMO 9130937 MMSI 247594000". Vesselfinder.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Vessel details for: GRANDE AMERICA (Ro-Ro/Container Carrier) – IMO 9130937, MMSI 247594000, Call Sign IBPG Registered in Italy – AIS Marine Traffic". MarineTraffic.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.