Grand Encounter (subtitled 2° East / 3° West) is an album by pianist and composer John Lewis with saxophonist Bill Perkins, guitarist Jim Hall, bassist Percy Heath and drummer Chico Hamilton recorded for the Pacific Jazz label in 1956. The subtitle refers to the groups mix of East Coast (Lewis and Heath) and West Coast (Perkins, Hall and Hamiton) musicians.
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||February 10, 1956|
Los Angeles, CA
|John Lewis chronology|
Allmusic awarded the album 5 stars stating "this classic session is the ultimate in cool jazz".
- "Love Me or Leave Me" (Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn) - 8:18
- "I Can't Get Started" (Vernon Duke, Ira Gershwin) - 3:31
- "Easy Living" (Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin) - 4:13
- "Two Degrees East - Three Degrees West" (John Lewis) - 6:07
- "Skylark" (Hoagy Carmichael, Johnny Mercer) - 3:06
- "Almost Like Being in Love" (Frederick Loewe, Alan Jay Lerner) - 9:26
- Pacific Jazz Records Catalog: 1200 series accessed September 11, 2015
- Edwards, D., Eyries, P. and Callahan, M. Pacific Jazz/Pacifica Album Discography accessed September 11, 2015
- Yanow, Scott. Grand Encounter: 2 Degrees East-3 Degrees West – Review at AllMusic. Retrieved September 11, 2015.