Grand Canyon Antelopes baseball
The Grand Canyon Antelopes baseball team (commonly referred to as the Lopes) represents Grand Canyon University in NCAA Division I college baseball. The team participates in the Western Athletic Conference. They are currently coached by Andy Stankiewicz and assistant coaches Gregg Wallis, Rich Dorman and Paul Panaccione. They play home games on campus at Brazell Field at GCU Ballpark. The Lopes recently completed a four-year transition period from Division II to Division I, where Grand Canyon could not qualify for the WAC Tournament nor the NCAA Tournament until the 2018 season. The Antelopes have four NAIA baseball titles to their name, winning in 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1986. The school made a return to the WAC for the 2014 season after competing in the conference from 1995-1998 (baseball only), winning the North Division title in 1998.
|Grand Canyon Antelopes|
|University||Grand Canyon University|
|Head coach||Andy Stankiewicz (9th season)|
|Home stadium||Brazell Field at GCU Ballpark |
|Colors||Purple, Black, and White|
|NCAA Tournament champions|
|1980, 1981, 1982, 1986 (NAIA)|
|1998, 2015, 2017, 2018|
Brazell Field at GCU Ballpark is the home of Grand Canyon Baseball. The field was named in honor of Dr. Dave Brazell, who is renowned as "the founder and developer of Canyon baseball." The field is mostly natural grass save for foul territory which is artificial turf. The all-green outfield wall features an inning-by-inning scoreboard in left field. The outfield wall runs along 35th Avenue in West Phoenix.
Grand Canyon players have been named to numerous NAIA and NCAA Division II All-American teams. Grand Canyon's short four-year stint in Division I (1995-1998) resulted in a few team awards. In 1997, the Antelopes were also recognized as the country's most improved team, winning 15.5 more games, and in 1998, the Antelopes won the WAC North Division before returning to Division II.
- Spacing & Colors (PDF). Grand Canyon University Branding and Standards Guide. August 13, 2018. Retrieved July 2, 2019.
- "Grand Canyon baseball wins its first WAC regular season title". azcentral.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "Arizona Local News - Phoenix Arizona News - Phoenix Breaking News". azcentral.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- "GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY - Brazell Stadium". Gculopes.com. 1987-02-21. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Metcalfe, Jeff (May 18, 2015). "Grand Canyon baseball wins its first WAC regular season title". Arizona Central.