Gran Hotel (TV series)
Gran Hotel (English: Grand Hotel) is a Spanish drama television series directed by Carlos Sedes and starring Yon González and Amaia Salamanca. It first aired on Antena 3 in Spain on 11 October 2011 and on Sky Arts 1 in the UK on 18 November 2012.
|Country of origin||Spain|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||39 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Ramón Campos|
|Running time||70–80 minutes|
|Original network||Antena 3|
|Original release||4 October 2011 –|
25 June 2013
The series, filmed at the Palacio de la Magdalena in Santander, is set in an early 20th century aristocratic hotel during the reign of King Alfonso XIII and is centered on the mysteries that involve the owner's family and the hotel servants.
The events take place in 1906–1907 in Spain, near a town called Cantaloa. The working-class Julio Olmedo arrives at the luxurious Grand Hotel to visit his sister Cristina, who works there as a maid and who has recently been promoted to floor manager. Julio is told by a waiter that Cristina was fired for theft a month before, a story Julio does not believe. He is convinced something happened to her at the hotel and there was a coverup. He takes a job there as a waiter under the name Julio Espinosa to investigate his sister's disappearance. He soon finds an ally in Alicia Alarcón, one of the daughters of the hotel's owner Doña Teresa. Alicia, who is being forced to marry hotel manager Diego Murquía, is also suspicious of things happening at the hotel. Together Julio and Alicia work to uncover the secrets of the Gran Hotel.
Julio Olmedo arrives at the Gran Hotel to look for his sister Christina. When he learns that she has been fired for theft and no one has any idea of her whereabouts, he joins the hotel as a waiter. Julio meets Alicia Alarcon, with whom he eventually falls in love. The couple, however, cannot be together as Alicia is engaged to Diego Murquia, the manager of the hotel. At the end of the season, Alicia marries Diego despite being in love with Julio.
|Doña Teresa Aldecoa y Alarcón||Adriana Ozores|
|Alicia Alarcón de Olmedo||Amaia Salamanca|
|Julio Olmedo / Julio Espinosa / Julio Molins||Yon González|
|Javier Alarcón Aldecoa||Eloy Azorín|
|Alfredo Marqués de Vergara||Fele Martínez|
|Benjamín||Manuel de Blas|
|Horacio Ayala||Pep Antón Muñoz|
|Diego Murquía / Adrián Vera Celande||Pedro Alonso|
|Sofía Alarcón de Marquéz de Vergara||Luz Valdenebro|
|Belén Martín de Alarcón||Marta Larralde|
|Andrés Cernuda Alarcón Salinas / Andrés Cernuda Salinas||Llorenç González|
|Ángela Cernuda Salinas||Concha Velasco|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||9||4 October 2011||6 December 2011|
|2||8||3 October 2012||21 November 2012|
|3||22||22 January 2013||25 June 2013|
Season 1 (2011)
Season 2 (2012)
Season 3 (2013)
In France, the series premiered on Téva on 1 June 2012 and on M6 on 4 July 2012. In Russia, it started airing on Domashny on 11 June 2012. The rights to broadcast Grand Hotel were acquired in the United Kingdom by Sky Arts. The series has also been sold to Turkey (Sinema TV Aşk), Lithuania (LNK), Estonia (Sony Entertainment Estonia and Kanal 11) and Venezuela (Televen). In Germany, the rights were acquired by Sony Entertainment Television and on the free-TV-channel Disney Channel. In Poland the series started on 12 November 2013 by AXN White in its original language and Polish lector. In Slovakia, broadcasting by RTVS TV canal, started on the 7th of January 2014. In Serbia, it started airing on RTS 2 on 10 March 2015. In Bulgaria the series started on 5 June 2015 on Nova Television.
In the United States, Grand Hotel premiered on VmeTV on 31 October 2013 in its original language. As of August 2019, episodes can be streamed on Netflix with English subtitles. Hulu is showing the first season with English subtitles.
2016 summer in Greece end all episodes in Alpha television.
|Season||Episodes||First aired||Last aired||Avg. viewers|
|1||9||4 October 2011||3.71||6 December 2011||3.44||3.40|
|2||8||3 October 2012||2.82||21 November 2012||2.94||2.81|
|3||22||22 January 2013||2.62||25 June 2013||2.62||2.52|
There have been several international remakes and adaptations of Gran Hotel:
- Italy's Rai 1 premiered an adaptation directed by Luca Ribuoli on 1 September 2015. The Italian version was re-titled in German-speaking countries as Hotel Imperial when it was broadcast by Servus TV on 29 July 2016. The Italian version consists of six episodes of two hours each, whereas the German broadcast has been divided into twelve one hour episodes.
- Mexican network Televisa produced an adaptation, El hotel de los secretos (The Hotel of Secrets), that premiered on Las Estrellas channel in January 2016.
- Egypt's CBC produced a popular Arabic market adaptation of Grand Hotel as a musalsal in 2016 which received critical acclaim and several awards. Netflix released the Egyptian version, under the title Secret of the Nile and with English, French, German, Italian and Spanish subtitles, on 15 March 2018. It is the first Egyptian series to air on Netflix.
- In the United States, ABC premiered an adaptation called Grand Hotel, set in Miami in the present day, on 17 June 2019.
- "Capítulos Gran Hotel". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 24 November 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- "Audiencias Gran Hotel". formulatv.com (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 24 November 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- Grand Hôtel
- "Гранд отель". domashniy.ru.
- "Grand Hotel". sinematv.com.tr.
- "Serialas – Viešbutis "Grand Hotel" – LNK". lnk.lt.
- "Grand Hotel". sonyentertainment.tv.
- "Grand Hotel", axnwhite.pl
- "RTVS.sk". rtvs.sk.
- Serbia, RTS, Radio televizija Srbije, Radio Television of. "Hotel Grand".
- "Мистерии и изпепеляваща любов в сериала "Гранд хотел"". Novatv.bg. 5 June 2015.
- "Gran Hotel". vmetv.com.
- "Grand Hotel". GEM TV.
- "Eugenio Franceschini: "In 'Grand Hotel' ho messo del mio"". Adnkronos. 26 August 2015.
- Riedmeier, Glenn (11 July 2016). ""Hotel Imperial": Servus TV zeigt italienische "Grand Hotel"-Adaption". TV Wunschliste.
- "Remake De 'Gran Hotel' En México Se Llamará 'El Hotel De Los Secretos'". NovelaLounge.com. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- El Goarany, Ahmed (3 July 2016). "Grand Hotel: a journey through time". Daily News Egypt. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- "Beelink: Secret of the Nile premiered on Netflix". Prensario Internacional. 26 March 2018.
- "Netflix releases a unique compilation of films and series for March". Egypt Today. 11 March 2018.
- Andreeva, Nellie (21 November 2017). "Eva Longoria Producing 'Grand Hotel' Soapy Drama Based On Spanish Format In Works At ABC". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 11 May 2018.
- Marr, Madeleine (11 June 2019). "'Secrets, lies, deception:' Eva Longoria's 'Grand Hotel' has big Miami Beach premiere". Miami Herald. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- Dove, Steve (11 May 2018). "New Drama "Grand Hotel" Coming MONDAY JUNE 17 10/9c on ABC". ABC.