Governess of the Children of France
The Governess of the Children of France (sometimes the Governess of the Royal Children) was office at the royal French court during the Pre-Revolutionary France and the Bourbon Restoration. She was charged with the education of the children and grandchildren of the monarch. The holder of the office was taken from the highest ranking nobility of France. The governess was supported by various deputies or under-governesses (sous gouvernantes).
Governesses of the Children of France
Children of Francis I of France
- Guillemette de Sarrebruck, comtesse de Braine
- Charlotte Gouffier de Boisy, Madame de Cossé-Brissac
Children of Henry II of France
- 1544-1557 : Françoise de Contay (d. 1557), Madame d'Humières, Dame de Contay.
- Louise de Clermont (1504-1596), comtesse de Tonnerre and duchesse d’Uzès.
- Claude Catherine de Clermont (1543-1603), Duchess of Retz.
Children of Charles IX of France
Children of Louis XIII
Children of Louis XIV
Children of the Grand Dauphin
- 1682-1691 : Louise de Prie, (1624-1709), Marquise of Toucy, Duchess of Cardona
Children of the Duke of Burgundy
- 1709-1710 : Marie Isabelle Gabrielle Angélique de La Mothe-Houdancourt (1654-1726), Duchess of La Ferté-Senneterre
- 1710-1735 : Charlotte de La Mothe-Houdancourt, (1651-1744), Duchess of Ventadour
- Anne Julie de Melun acted as a sous gouvernante to Madame de Ventadour
Children of Louis XV
Children of Louis, Dauphin of France
Children of Louis XVI
- 1776-1782 : Victoire de Rohan, (1743-1807), Princess of Guéméné
- 1782-1789 : Yolande de Polastron, (1749-1793), Duchess of Polignac.
- 1789-1792 : Louise Élisabeth de Croÿ, (1749-1832), Marquise of Tourzel.
- Les outils de la connaissance: enseignement et formation intellectuelle en ...
- Robert J. Knecht, Hero or Tyrant? Henry III, King of France, 1574-89
- The girlhood of Mary queen of Scots from her landing in France in August 1548 to her departure from France in August 1561
- Susan Broomhall, Women's Medical Work in Early Modern France
- Jacqueline Vons, Pauline Saint-Martin, [Vie et mort de Marie-Elisabeth de France (1572-1578), fille de Charles IX et Elisabeth d’Autriche http://cour-de-france.fr/article744.html?lang=fr], 2010 (http://cour-de-france.fr/article744.html)
- wife of Philippe de La Mothe-Houdancourt
- daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cardona and older sister of Madame de Ventadour
- daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Cardona
- Anne Julie was the wife of Jules, Prince of Soubise and as such, grand daughter "in law" of La Ventadour
- daughter of Hercule Mériadec, Duke of Rohan-Rohan and Anne Geneviève de Lévis, grand daughter of the Duchess of Ventadour
- Daughter of Jules, Prince of Soubise and a great grand daughter of the Duchess of Ventadour
- great great grand daughter of the Duchess of Ventadour