Gordon Turnbull is a British psychiatrist and expert on post traumatic stress disorder. He is the lead trauma consultant at the Nightingale Hospital in London, visiting professor at the University of Chester, and Consultant Advisor in Psychiatry to the Civil Aviation Authority.
Turnbull is the author of the book Trauma: From Lockerbie to 7/7; How trauma affects our minds and how we fight back, published by Bantam Press in 2011.
Turnbull grew up in Leith, Edinburgh, where he attended Lorne Street School and then George Heriot's School, before enrolling to study medicine at Edinburgh University in 1967. He graduated in 1973 and subsequently joined the Royal Air Force.
In August 1991, Turnbull was involved in debriefing John McCarthy, Terry Waite and Jackie Mann at RAF Princess Alexandra Hospital in Wiltshire on their return from Beirut, Lebanon where they had been held hostage.
- Whittingham Prize for contribution to Aviation Medicine, 1992
- People of the Year Award, Royal Association for Disability and Rehabilitation, 1993
- "Professor Gordon Turnbull". Nightingale Hospital. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Centre for Research and Education in Psychological Trauma". University of Chester. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "What is PTSD?". 17 July 2005. Retrieved 17 July 2016 – via BBC News.
- "Gordon Turnbull". Penguin. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- Turnbull, Gordon (2011). Trauma. London: Bantam Press.
- "Trauma". Penguin. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Thoughts on the Book Trauma by Professor Gordon Turnbull – How Trauma Affects our Minds". heavywhalley. 11 August 2011. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- McKenzie, Steven (23 December 2011). "Former RAF rescuer tells of Lockerbie trauma". Retrieved 17 July 2016 – via BBC News.
- Ahuja, Anjana (29 July 1998). "Ten years on, a psychiatrist reveals how the crash changed attitudes to trauma". Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "RAF Hospital Wroughton". Royal Air Force. 2016. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "Terry Waite visits University of Chester today". 23 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2016 – via Chester Chronicle.
- Brown, Annie (7 July 2011). "Lockerbie was hell on earth. It's crazy.. all that death and I am lying awake wondering how the wind can remove a man's belt". Retrieved 17 July 2016 – via Daily Record.
- "Trauma – Prof. Gordon Turnbull". Hostage UK. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- "History | Alexandra Park Residents Association (APRA)". alexandrapark.org.uk. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
- Stock, by Jon. "A safe haven for the hostage heroes". Retrieved 17 July 2016.