Goonyella Riverside Mine
Goonyella Riverside Mine is a large open cut coking coal mine in the Bowen Basin. It is one of many coal mines in Central Queensland and is located at Moranbah about 30 km north of the township. The mine produced 12.4 million tonnes of metallurgical coal from July 2012 to June 2013. It is owned by the BHP Mitsubishi Alliance. The Goonyella Upper Seam, the Goonyella Middle Seam and the Goonyella Lower Seam are all mined at the site. The coal is well known for its great coking characteristics. Much of the coal was such a high grade, the wash plants were often programmed to add ash to meet the contracted export quality targets.
Goonyella Riverside Mine
Location in Australia
|Production||14,000,000 Tonnes / Year|
|Company||BHP Mitsubishi Alliance|
The Goonyella Mine was developed by Central Queensland Coal Associates, (Utah International Corporation 85% and Mitsubishi Development Co 15%) before being sold to BHP. Operations commenced in 1971 at Goonyella while mining began at Riverside in 1982.
On the 12th November 2019, BMA Operations announced that it would automate 86 Komatsu Trucks by 2020. The announcement was openly criticised by the CFMEU Mining & Energy Division and the Queensland Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington who stated approvals to the mine operation should be reviewed.
- "Welcome to Goonyella Riverside Mine" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2017. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "About Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance". Archived from the original on 18 February 2011. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "BHP Billiton may cut coal output at big Australian mine". Reuters. 11 June 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Our business". BHP. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd". The Queensland Resources Council. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Massive Coal Trains Move Over Queensland's Heaviest Tracks Railway Transportation December 1971 page 19
- "Welcome to Goonyella Riverside Mine" (PDF). BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance. June 2002. Retrieved 24 October 2019.
- Editor, Mining (12 November 2019). "BMA announces automation at Queensland coal mine | Mine Safety News". Australasian Mine Safety Journal. Retrieved 13 November 2019.
- Mining for Dummies. Tererai Dube.
- Governor-General Opens Central Queensland Coal Project Network November 1971 page 1
- "Goonyella Riverside Mine- Mining Accident Database". www.mineaccidents.com.au. Retrieved 13 November 2019.