The Gonella Hut (French: Refuge Francesco Gonella; Italian: Rifugio Francesco Gonella and sometimes called Rifugio del Dôme; or Refuge du Dôme) is a high altitude mountain hut in the Aosta Valley in the Mont Blanc massif area of the Alps. It lies at an altitude of 3071 metres, above Val Veny near Courmayeur in Italy. The refuge is located on the Italian 'normal route' to Mont Blanc.
|Rifugio Francesco Gonella|
Refuge Francesco Gonella
|Elevation||3,071 m (10,075 ft)|
The Refuge Gonella is situated on the Aiguilles Grises ridge that separates the Dôme glacier from the Glacier de Bionnassay Italien.
The climb to the refuge starts at La Visaille / plan Lognan (1,670 m) and follows the track towards Plan Combal (1,990 m). Not far away lies the Lake Miage. Near the Ghiacciaio del Miage glacier is the trailhead S15 leading to the hut at 3071 m.
At 2,500 m flows on the Dôme du Goûter result in the Ghiacciaio del Dome glacier (Fr. Glacier du Dome) of the Miage. At about 2,400 m, the Mont Blanc glacier (French: Glacier du Mont Blanc) is reached, which is fed from the southwest slopes of Mont Blanc.
At an altitude of 2,650 m the trail finally leaves the Miage glaciers and rises over steep rocks to the hut. It takes approximately 5 ½ hours reach the Gonella Refuge from La Visaille, graded at F
The following peaks can be reached from the Gonella Refuge:
Hut to hut
Reaching any other hut from the Gonella Refuge involves serious mountaineering on glacial terrain at altitudes above 4,000 metres.
- Refuge Gonella webpage
- Moran, Martin (July 2012). The 4000m Peaks of the Alps. The Alpine Club. p. 274. ISBN 9780900523663.
- Goedeke, Richard (1990). The Alpine 4000m Peaks by the Classic Routes (1st ed.). London: Diadem Books. p. 212. ISBN 3763410074.
- Griffin, Lindsay (1990). Mont Blanc Massif Volume 1. London: Alpine Club. p. 25. ISBN 0900523573.
- Location of Gonella Hut on French IGN mapping portal
- Rifugio Gonella website (Italian)
- Access to Refuge Gonella (French)
- Gonella Refuge—YouTube video showing inside of refuge
- From Courmayeur to the Refuge Gonella