Goltzius and the Pelican Company
Goltzius and the Pelican Company is a 2012 historical film by writer-director Peter Greenaway.
|Goltzius and the Pelican Company|
|Directed by||Peter Greenaway|
|Written by||Peter Greenaway|
|Music by||Marco Robino|
|Cinematography||Reinier van Brummelen|
|Edited by||Elmer Leupen|
The film is based on the life of Hendrik Goltzius, a late 16th-century Dutch printer and engraver of erotic prints. He seduces the Margrave of Alsace into paying for a printing press to make and publish illustrated books. Goltzius promises him an extraordinary book of pictures of the Old Testament Biblical stories. Erotic tales of the temptation of Adam and Eve, Lot and his daughters, David and Bathsheba, Joseph and Potiphar's wife, Samson and Delilah, and John the Baptist and Salome. To tempt the Margrave further, Goltzius and his printing company will offer to perform dramatizations of these erotic stories for his court.
Goltzius and the Pelican Company is the second feature in Greenaway's film series "Dutch Masters", which includes the previous film Nightwatching. The third entry in the series will focus on Hieronymus Bosch, and its release is planned to coincide with the 500th anniversary of Bosch's death in 2016.
- Peter Greenaway was nominated and won the FICE Award for Best European Director at the FICE- Federazione Italiana Cinema d’Essai in 2014.
- Peter Greenaway was nominated for the New Visions Award for Best Motion Picture at the Sitges - Catalan International Film Festival in 2013.
- Macnab, Geoffrey (13 May 2010). "Bankside slate adds Peter Greenaway, Famke Janssen, Antonia Bird films". Screen Daily. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Netherlands Film Festival
- Macnab, Geoffrey (13 February 2011). "Greenaway readies Goltzius, Eisenstein projects". Screen Daily. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Child, Ben. "Peter Greenaway to receive Bafta for outstanding British contribution to cinema". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Rosser, Michael. "BAFTA to honour Peter Greenaway". Screen Daily. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Kemp, Stewart. "British Director Peter Greenaway to Receive BAFTA Honor". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Morgan, Nesta. "Nightwatching". film&festivals. United Kingdom: Wallflower Press, Film Culture Ltd. 2 (2): 5. ISSN 1755-5485.
- "greenaway maakt film jeroen bosch..."
- "greenaway makes film about jheronimus..."
- Robbey, Tim. "Goltzius and the Pelican Company, review: frisky and witty". The Telegraph. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Bradshaw, Peter. "Goltzius and the Pelican Company review – Peter Greenaway's modern court masque". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Goltzius & The Pelican Company". sitgesfilmfestival. Retrieved 31 March 2015.