Gold Coast Derby Grrls
The Gold Coast Derby Grrls (GCDG) is a roller derby league based in Broward County, Florida. Founded in 2007, the league currently consists of two teams which compete against teams from other leagues.
|Metro area||Fort Lauderdale, FL|
|Venue||Palm Beach Skate Zone|
War Memorial Auditorium
The league was founded as the Broward County Derby Grrls in August 2007, and played thirteen bouts in their first year. By 2008, they had organized their first tournament, and were described by The Bismarck Tribune as Florida's top team. By 2010, the league had more than 60 skaters and was divided into A and B teams.
The Derby Grrls became a full member of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) in March 2011, and were rapidly ranked at number 13 in the South Central Region. By the end of the summer, they had risen to number nine, and were therefore eligible to play at the WFTDA South Central Playoffs, in which they took eighth place.
- "About us", Broward County Derby Grrls
- "Roller derby is reborn", The Bismarck Tribune, 24 May 2008
- Eric P. Newcomer, "Roller derby team trains new recruits, readies players", South Florida Sun-Sentinel, 11 July 2010
- "Gold Coast Derby Grrls Make Big 5 Debut", WFTDA, 29 September 2011
- Rick Menning, "Gold Coast Derby Grrls earn WFTDA status and a national ranking", South Florida Sun-Sentinel, 25 April 2011
- "Results", Show Me Der-B-Q
- "Current Rankings Archived January 25, 2012, at the Wayback Machine", WFTDA