Glenn Zaleski is an American jazz pianist, keyboardist, composer, and arranger.
|Born||1987 or 1988|
Boylston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, arranger|
Zaleski was born and raised in Boylston, Massachusetts. His parents were Bob and Barbara Zaleski. He has an older brother, Mark, who plays the saxophone. Glenn took piano lessons from the age of seven. He played in an elementary school jazz band. While at high school, he had gigs in the Worcester, Massachusetts area. In 2004 he attended the Brubeck Institute's Summer Jazz Colony. He graduated from Tahanto Regional High School in 2005.
Zaleski received a two-year fellowship to study at the Brubeck Institute at the University of the Pacific (2005–07), then completed his degree at The New School. In 2006 he played with Dave Brubeck at the Monterey Jazz Festival.
Later life and career
Zaleski's My Ideal, released by Sunnyside Records, contained both standards and Zaleski originals. Nate Chinen, reviewing My Ideal for The New York Times, wrote that some of the playing was "a little too close to the aesthetic territory of Brad Mehldau. [...] But if there is any unfinished business on this accomplished first outing, it involves a stronger claim to originality."
Zaleski acknowledges Bill Evans as an influence on his playing style. Chinen noted Zaleski's "subtleties of touch [...] along with his fluent but unhurried sense of phrase".
An asterisk (*) indicates that the year is that of release.
|2010*||Duet Suite||Duo, with Mark Zaleski (sax)|
|2011*||Anticipation||Capri||Trio, co-led with Rick Rosato (bass), Colin Stranahan (drums)|
|2013*||Limitless||Capri||Trio, co-led with Rick Rosato (bass), Colin Stranahan (drums)|
|2014||My Ideal||Sunnyside||Most tracks trio, with Dezron Douglas (bass), Craig Weinrib (drums); one track quartet, with Ravi Coltrane (tenor sax) added|
- Simas, Art (May 25, 2005) "The Kid's Got the Goods". Telegram & Gazette. p. 133.
- Bhatia, Rafiq "Glenn Zaleski: 'A Sound'". The Jazz Gallery.
- Duckett, Richard (November 24, 2008) "Brothers in Concert". Telegram & Gazette. p. E1.
- Keenan, Kevin (June 6, 2005) "Tahanto Graduates Urged to Take Risks While They Can". Telegram & Gazette. p. B1.
- Dryden, Ken (April 2015) "No Net Nonet Lucas Pino (Origin) My Ideal Glenn Zaleski (Sunnyside)". The New York City Jazz Record. p. 17.
- Garelick, Jon (May 2015) "Glenn Zaleski – My Ideal". Down Beat. p. 59.
- Chinen, Nate (March 16, 2015) "New Albums From Sirens, Zaleski and Miller". The New York Times.
- Tangari, Joe (April 2015) "Tomoko Omura – Roots". Down Beat. p. 62.
- Booth, Philip (May 6, 2015) "Glenn Zaleski – My Ideal". JazzTimes.