Glamis // is a small village in Angus, Scotland, located four miles south of Kirriemuir and five miles southwest of Forfar. It is the location of Glamis Castle, the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.
The vicinity of Glamis has prehistoric traces – within the village there stands an intricately carved Pictish stone known as the Glamis Manse Stone. There are various other Pictish stones nearby the village, such as the Hunter Hill Stone, and the Eassie Stone, which stands in the nearby village of Eassie. The last Alpínid king of Scotland, Malcolm II, died at Glamis in 1034.
On 20 October 1491 it was declared a burgh of barony by James IV. This gave Glamis the right to hold a weekly market, and an annual fair which was held on 17 November, the feast day of Saint Fergus. This legacy can be seen in the mercat cross which still stands in the village square.
The humorous poet Agnes Lyon lived here.
Glamis is a well-preserved conservation village. Much of its historic core was built to house estate workers in the late 18th century. Glamis houses the Angus Folk Museum run by the National Trust for Scotland. This is a museum of days past, recreating scenes of rural life such as a minister's parlour; a schoolroom; a laundry; and an agricultural area, along with displays of tools, everyday artifacts, and old crafts. It is housed in an adapted row of single storey stone cottages, originally built in 1793.
The parish church of Glamis, dedicated to Saint Fergus, was founded in the early medieval period (probably 8th century AD). The present building is 18th-century with restoration in the 1930s but retains a vaulted 15th-century aisle from the medieval church which preceded it. In an aisle of the parish church is the burial place (photo) of the Bowes-Lyon family, owners of Glamis Castle. One of its park gates is situated near the parish church.
Even though Glamis is only a small village, several cities in Britain have streets named after it. This is due to the popularity of naming streets after Shakespearean characters and locations during the Victorian Era.
- C.Michael Hogan, Eassie Stone, The Megalithic Portal, ed. Andy Burnham, Oct. 7, 2007
- Black's Picturesque Tourist of Scotland, Adam and Charles Black, Published 1861, Scotland, 635 pages
- Sir James Balfour Paul, The Scots Peerage: Founded on Wood's Edition of Sir Robert Douglas' Peerage of Scotland, David Douglas, Edinburgh, 1911 accessed 11 May 2018
- J. C. Hadden, ‘Lyon, Agnes (1762–1840)’, rev. Sarah Couper, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 31 Jan 2015
- "MS 11 Baxter Brothers & Co Ltd, linen and jute spinners and manufacturers, Dundee". Archive Services Online Catalogue. University of Dundee. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- Neale, John Preston (1822). "Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen, in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Glamis.|
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Glamis.|