Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP is a global law firm, founded in Los Angeles in 1890. The firm includes approximately 1,200 attorneys and 1,000 staff located in 20 offices around the world, including North and South America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
|Headquarters||Wells Fargo Tower|
Los Angeles, California
|No. of offices||20|
|No. of attorneys||Approximately 1,200|
|Major practice areas||General Practice|
|Key people||Kenneth M. Doran, Managing Partner|
The firm is best known for its litigation practice, which has been named the top "Litigation Department of the Year" in the United States by The American Lawyer in several biannual rankings, most recently in 2016. The firm is also known for its land use and real estate practices.The firm's attorneys have argued more than 100 cases before the United States Supreme Court. Some of the firm's notable cases include:
- The firm represented Apple, Inc. in its patent infringement suit against Samsung (Apple v. Samsung) relating to the Galaxy Nexus smartphone, and won an injunction in June 2012 blocking the sale of the Galaxy Nexus phone in the United States. The injunction was vacated in October 2012 based on the results of the trial.
- The firm is representing Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, in a $17 billion contract dispute with purported seed money financier Paul Ceglia.
- The firm is defending Intel against several multibillion-dollar antitrust lawsuits filed by AMD and the European Union.
- The firm is representing CNN in its lawsuit against President Trump and many of his staff on the basis of Jim Acosta's right to a "hard pass", a clearance to enter the White House.
- The firm is representing Chevron in its long-running, $27 billion environmental dispute in Ecuador.
- The firm is representing the Dole Food Company in a multibillion-dollar toxic tort suit in Nicaragua involving allegations of farmworker sterility stemming from Dole's use of certain pesticides. After the firm uncovered substantial evidence of fraud and a conspiracy between the plaintiffs and Nicaraguan judges to extort Dole out of billions with manufactured claims, courts in the United States dismissed multiple related suits against Dole and refused to enforce several Nicaraguan judgments.
- In 2009, the firm represented NBC Universal in its contract dispute with Conan O'Brien.
- The firm represented Viacom in its billion-dollar copyright infringement lawsuit against Google and YouTube in Viacom International Inc. v. YouTube, Inc.. After multiple rulings at the District Court and Appellate Court, the case was settled in 2014.
- Governor Chris Christie hired Gibson, Dunn attorney Randy Mastro to conduct an internal investigation of the circumstances surrounding the Fort Lee lane closure scandal and representing the Governor in a later federal investigation. The firm was later criticized by U.S. District Judge Susan Wigenton for its methods of record keeping, and accused the firm of "opacity and gamesmanship."
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Gibson Dunn was one of the top law firms contributing to federal candidates during the 2012 election cycle, donating $1.45 million, 55% to Democrats. Since 1990, Gibson Dunn contributed $6.15 million to federal campaigns.
Notable attorneys and staff
- Preet Bharara, former associate and high-profile U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York from 2009 to 2017.
- Robert C. Bonner, former Administrator of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
- Miguel Estrada, acclaimed U.S. Supreme Court practitioner and former nominee to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- James C. Ho, Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Theodore Olson, former United States Solicitor General from 2001 to 2004 under President George W. Bush.
- Kelly Perdew, former associate and reality television star on "The Apprentice."
- Eugene Scalia, son of former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, former Solicitor for the U.S. Department of Labor and current United States Secretary of Labor.
- Debra Wong Yang, former L.A. Superior Court Judge and U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California.
- Kenneth M. Doran's firm profile
- "Meet the Winners: Litigation Department of the Year", The American Lawyer via Law.com, December 21, 2015. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Real Estate Group Of The Year: Gibson Dunn", The American Lawyer via Law.com, January 17, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2019.
- "Gibson Dunn Attorneys Argue Their 100th Case Before The U.S. Supreme Court", GibsonDunn.com.
- "Judge Blocks Sales of Samsung Phone That Apple Says Infringes Patents". 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2014-09-28.
- Samsung to appeal US Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction after tablet ruled innocent [Update: Request filed], thenextweb.com, August 27, 2012. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- Diane Bartz (Oct 11, 2012). "U.S. court clears Samsung phone, setback for Apple". Reuters. Retrieved Oct 11, 2012. Cite journal requires
- Gibson Dunn Goes Medieval on Facebook Plaintiff « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Cou...
- "A.M.D. and Its War With Intel". New York Times. 21 June 2008.
- "CNN sues President Trump and top White House aides for barring Jim Acosta". CNN. 13 November 2018.
- Litigation Department of the Year: Gibson Dunn - Law.com
- Chevron accuses Ecuadorean plaintiffs of extortion
- Litigation Department of the Year: Gibson Dunn - Law.com
- ‘Bye, everybody, bye!’: An End in Sight for the Conan-Leno-NBC Debacle? « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, L...
- Viacom Taps Ted Olson for YouTube Appeal
- Stempel, Jonathan (March 18, 2014). "Google, Viacom settle landmark YouTube lawsuit". Reuters.
- "Hiring by Christie Suggests He May Be on the Defensive". New York Times. 16 January 2014.
- Porter, David (8 August 2016). "GWB Closure Defendants Want to Put Christie Lawyers on Stand". NBC 4 NY. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- Dealmakers of the Week:
Barbara Becker of Gibson Dunn and Sarah Jones of Clifford Chance - AmericanLawyer.com
- Cleary, Gibson Dunn Slake M&A Thirst With $7.6 Billion Beer Deal
- "Lawyers & Lobbyists: Top Contributors to Federal Candidates, Parties, and Outside Groups". OpenSecrets.org. Center for Responsive Politics.
- "Organizations: Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher". OpenSecrets.org. Center for Responsive Politics. Retrieved 9 June 2016.