Gharanij (Arabic: غرانيج) is a Syrian town located in Abu Kamal District, Deir ez-Zor. According to the Syria Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS), Gharanij had a population of 23,009 in the 2004 census.
Location in Syria
|Coordinates: 34°47′2″N 40°43′42″E|
|De facto Administration|
|District||Abu Kamal District|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|City Qrya Pcode||C5173|
On 9 December 2017, Gharanij was captured by Syrian Democratic Forces in their Deir ez-Zor campaign. On 21 December 2017, the Islamic State still controlled the town but was once again liberated by the Syrian Democratic Forces in late February.
- "General Census of Population 2004". Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "SDF Seizes Gharanij Town Eastern Deir Ezzor". Retrieved 2017-12-09.
- Airstrikes target the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor and the regime forces target the countryside of Homs and Quneitra
- "It has been a very interesting and intense week of fights at the front in Khara'ij, against ISIS. Luckily alive, but we did a very good job. Also prisoners have been taken. Pushing daesh till the end, they still resist but they are almost defeated. - Azad Marxman on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-11-04.
- "Khara'ij (#DeirEzzor province) is still full war zone, #SDF & #YPG front against #ISIS. When I came back from the front, I noticed that Abu Hammam started to get populated, few people in the streets, some shops are open. We were fighting there and liberated the town in December. - Azad Marxman on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-11-04.