- The first concert hall was constructed in 1781 by architect Johann Carl Friedrich Dauthe inside the Gewandhaus, a building used by cloth (garment) merchants.
- The second Gewandhaus was designed by Martin Gropius. It opened on 11 December 1884, and had a main concert hall and a chamber music hall. It was destroyed in the fire-bombings of World War II between 1943 and 1944.
- The third Gewandhaus on Augustusplatz opened on 8 October 1981, two hundred years after the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra moved into the original hall.
The hall contains a concert organ: Schuke, Potsdam IV-92-6638.
- Manfred Dennecke: Deutsche Wirtschafts- und Finanzgeschichte, pp 148; ISBN 3-9520775-0-X
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gewandhaus (Leipzig).|
- History of the Gewandhaus from the official site