German submarine U-119 (1942)
German submarine U-119 was a Type XB minelaying U-boat of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine during World War II. She was laid down at the Germaniawerft in Kiel on 15 May 1940 as yard number 624. She was launched on 6 January 1942 and commissioned under Kapitänleutnant Alois Zech on 2 April 1942, he was replaced by Kptlt. Horst-Tessen von Kameke on 1 February 1943, who remained in command until her loss.
|Ordered:||7 August 1939|
|Laid down:||15 May 1940|
|Launched:||6 January 1942|
|Commissioned:||2 April 1942|
|Fate:||Sunk on 24 June 1943 by a British warship|
|Class and type:||Submarine minelayer|
|Height:||10.20 m (33 ft 6 in)|
|Draught:||4.71 m (15 ft 5 in)|
|Test depth:||Calculated crush depth: 220 m (720 ft)|
|Complement:||5 officers, 47 enlisted|
The boat made a short run from Kiel to Frederikshaven in Denmark and back between 4 August 1942 and the 10th.
2nd patrol and loss
Summary of raiding history
|3 June 1943||Halma||2,937||Sunk (Mine)|
|28 July 1943||John A. Poor||7,176||Damaged (Mine)|
- Kemp 1999, p. 126.
- Gröner, p. 116.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "The Type XB boat U-119". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "War Patrols by German U-boat U-119". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by U-119". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (1999). German U-boat commanders of World War II : a biographical dictionary. Translated by Brooks, Geoffrey. London, Annapolis, Md: Greenhill Books, Naval Institute Press. ISBN 1-55750-186-6.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (1999). Deutsche U-Boot-Verluste von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [German U-boat losses from September 1939 to May 1945]. Der U-Boot-Krieg (in German). IV. Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn: Mittler. ISBN 3-8132-0514-2.
Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Kemp, Paul (1999). U-Boats Destroyed - German Submarine Losses in the World Wars. London: Arms & Armour. ISBN 1-85409-515-3.