Gerald Fleming (born November 20, 1957) is an Irish meteorologist and weather presenter. He joined Met Éireann in 1980 and has worked as co-ordinator of the RTÉ Television weather team. He served as Head of Forecasting in Met Éireann until his retirement in December 2017.
|Education||University College Dublin|
|Occupation||Head of Forecasting, Met Éireann|
|Met Éireann forecast on RTÉ|
Early and personal life
Fleming attended University College Dublin where he studied for four years. He earned a Bachelor of Science in Experimental Physics. In 1980 he achieved a Master of Science following two years of research in the Atmospherics Group of the UCD Physics Department. When he left university, he moved straight to Irish Met Service. After sixteen months training, he was deployed to Dublin Airport as an aviation forecaster. He moved to the Glasnevin base two years later.
He has served as Chairperson of the International Association of Broadcast Meteorology and Co-Chair of the First World Conference on Broadcast Meteorology. He has also chaired the Expert Team on Media Issues for the World Meteorological Organisation and since 2005 has been Chair of the Public Weather Service Delivery Programme Group for WMO, and a member of the Management Group on the WMO Commission for Basic Systems.
Fleming was Head of the General Forecasting Division in Met Éireann. until December 2017, when he retired. In that position he was a primary representative of Met Éireann to the media. He was also a regular contributor to Mooney on RTÉ Radio 1. Furthermore, he is the treasurer of the International Association of Broadcast Meteorology (IABM).
- "Decisions, decisions, decisions --- weather in the real world". Irish Met Society. Retrieved 31 January 2010.
- "The Weather Team: Gerald Fleming". RTÉ.ie. Archived from the original on 19 February 2010. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Gerald Fleming (21 January 2009). "An interesting snapshot, but the story of this swimmer's life has yet to unfold". The Irish Times. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
Gerald Fleming is head of Met Éireann’s forecast office in Glasnevin, Dublin, and has presented weather broadcasts on RTÉ for many years. He is past chairman – and current treasurer – of Wexford Swimming Club.
- John Whelan (23 August 2009). "Weather forecasters need to provide a little sunshine". Irish Independent. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "'It's murder, Poirot. Fancy a Coke?'". The Irish Times. 19 September 2009. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Met Éireann Divisions: General Forecasting". Met Éireann. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- Weatherman Gerald Fleming to retire at end of the year The Irish Times, Nov 17, 2017
- Tim O'Brien (23 November 2009). "Forecast and travel". The Irish Times. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Mooney: 9 June 2009". Mooney. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Mooney: 13 December 2006". Mooney. Retrieved 7 February 2010.