George in Civvy Street
George in Civvy Street is a 1946 British comedy film directed and produced by Marcel Varnel starring George Formby with Ronald Shiner, and Ian Fleming. It was made by the British subsidiary of Columbia Pictures. This was Formby's last big screen appearance. After the film was unsuccessful at the box office, he resumed his career in the music hall. The working title for the film was "Remember the Unicorn".
|George in Civvy Street|
UK trade ad poster
|Directed by||Marcel Varnel|
|Produced by||Marcel Varnel|
|Written by||Howard Irving Young|
|Starring||George Formby |
|Music by||Harry Bidgood|
|Edited by||Douglas Robertson|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures Corporation|
|8 July 1946 (UK)|
This comedy film portrays George Formby leaving the forces and becoming a village pub owner, who works to turn a waitress from her current boss, a rival pub owner. Formby falls in love with the waitress, and various battles ensue between the pub rivals.
- George Formby as George Harper
- Rosalyn Boulter as Mary Colton
- Ronald Shiner as Fingers
- Ian Fleming as Uncle Shad
- Wally Patch as Sprout
- Philippa Hiatt as Lavender
- Enid Cruickshank as Miss Gummidge
- Robert Ginns as Crabtree
- Mike Johnson as Toby
- Frank Drew as Jed
- Daphne Elphinstone as Mitzi Montrose
- Johnny Claes as Himself
- Ronnie Scott as Band member
- Rita Varian as Mrs Brindle
- According to TV Guide, the film is "lifeless farce", and a "tasteless romp".
- A reviewer for Sky Movies wrote, "the partnership of music hall favourite George Formby and director Marcel Varnel (who also turned out the best of the Will Hay and Arthur Askey comedies) was looking distinctly jaded after six movies in a row. And despite a formidable array of four new writers, this stale comedy about pub rivalry, ended Formby's screen career on a low note".
- "George in Civvy Street (1946)". BFI Film & TV Database. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "George In Civvy Street". TV Guide. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "George Formby | Britmovie | Home of British Films". Britmovie. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "George in Civvy Street". BFI. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "George in Civvy Street (1946)". AllMovie. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "George in Civvy Street". Sky Movies. 23 May 2002. Retrieved 22 February 2014.