George Neville, 1st Baron Latimer
George Neville, 1st Baron Latimer or (Latymer) (died 30 December 1469) was an English nobleman.
|George Neville, 1st Baron Latimer|
|Died||30 December 1469|
Sir Henry Neville
|Father||Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland|
George Neville was the fifth son of Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland, by his second wife Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt. He succeeded to the Latymer estates on the death of his half-uncle John Neville, 6th Baron Latimer, in 1430 (see Baron Latimer), and on 25 February 1432 he was summoned to Parliament as Baron Latimer.
- Katherine Neville, who died childless.
- Sir Henry Neville (d. 26 July 1469), who married Joan Bourchier, daughter of John Bourchier, 1st Baron Berners, and Marjorie Berners, and had:
- Joan Neville, born ca 1464, Latimer, Buckinghamshire, England; she married Sir James Ratclyffe.
- Richard Neville, 2nd Baron Latimer (Latimer, Buckinghamshire / Sinnington, North Riding of Yorkshire, ca. 1468 – Snape, North Yorkshire, December 1530, bur. Well, North Yorkshire), married in Grafton, Worcestershire, in 1490 to Anne Stafford (Grafton, Worcestershire, ca. 1471 – aft. 1513, bur. Well, North Yorkshire), daughter of Sir Humphrey Stafford of Grafton (Grafton, Worcestershire, ca. 1427 – executed by order of King Henry VII for siding with Richard III, Tyburn, 8 July 1486) and Catherine Fray (1437–1482), and had issue which included John Neville, 3rd Baron Latimer.
- Thomas Neville (1468–1546) (Esq.), born in Shenstone, Staffordshire, England. He was Lord of Mathom; married Letitia Harcourt (1494–1520), daughter of Sir Robert Harcourt of Stanton Harcourt and Agnes Lymbrake and had issue.
- Thomas Neville, of Shenstone, Staffordshire.
- Jane Neville, who married Oliver Dudley.
George Neville appears to have suffered from some form of dementia in his later years, as he was described as an "idiot," and the guardianship of his lands was given to his nephew, Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker. George Neville, Lord Latimer, died on 30 December 1469 and was succeeded in the barony by his grandson Richard, his eldest son Sir Henry Neville having predeceased him by several months, dying at the Battle of Edgecote Moor, 26 July 1469.
|Ancestors of George Neville, 1st Baron Latimer|
|Peerage of England|
| Baron Latimer
- Burke, John (1831). A General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerages of England, Ireland, and Scotland, Extinct, Dormant, and in Abeyance. London: Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. p. 392. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- Joan NEVILLE Born: ABT 1464 www.tudorplace.com.ar
- G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910–1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/2, page 560.
- Thomas NEVILLE (Esq.) www.tudorplace.com.ar