Garrison Church, Copenhagen
|Denomination||Church of Denmark|
|Founder(s)||Frederick IV of Denmark|
|Consecrated||24 March 1706|
|Functional status||Parish Church|
|Organist(s)||Hans F. Westenholz|
In the 17th century, Copenhagen had become home to a sizeable garrison. A military church was built at Kastellet in 1670, but its modest size only allowed it to serve the personnel at the fortress. The rest of the troops in the city had to use Church of Holmen, a former anchor forge which had been converted into a naval church in 1619.
When Sophie Amalienborg burned down in 1689, its chapel survived the flames and was subsequently put at the disposal of the Army. However, the small building which had been built for members of the royal court only served as a temporary solution. Christian V therefore provided a tract of land at Dronningens Tværgade for the construction of a new church for the Army and military engineer Georg Philip Müller completed a set of renderings in 1697. When Frederick IV ascended the throne in 1699, he moved the project to a site in the southernmost section of Sophie Amalienborg's former gardens. Construction began in 1703, still to Müller's design but under the supervision of Domenico Pelli. The following year it was decided to build the church to a larger and somewhat modified design and the project was taken over by General Master Builder Wilhelm Friedrich von Platen. The church was inaugurated on 24 March 1706.
Monuments and memorials
|Image||Title / individual commemorated||Sculptor||Installed||Reference|
|Carl Wilder Memrrial|
|Christian Frederik Brorson Memorial|
|Georg Christopher vib Styrup|
|Heinrich Ludwig von Schimmelmann Memorial|
|J.Th. Lundbye Memorial|
|Jörgen Valentin Sonne Memorial|
|Mathias Pedersen Nostrup Memorial|
|Olfert Ricard Memorial|
|Christian August Lorentzen Memorial|
|Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg|
|One Of The Many||Ausa Hofman-Bang|
- "Garnisons Kirke" (in Danish). Gyldendal. Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- Garrison Church Web site (Danish)