Gandi SAS (Gestion et Attribution des Noms de Domaine sur Internet – Management and Allocation of Domain Names on the Internet) is a French company providing domain name registration, web hosting, and related services. The company's main office is in Paris.
Type of site
|Société par actions simplifiée|
|Key people||Stephan Ramoin (President)|
Nicolas Lhuillery (Head of Product, Gandi SAS)
Pascal Bouchareine (CIO Gandi SAS, VP US Operations)
|Services||Domain name registration|
Blog hosting service
- 2000: Gandi was founded as a domain registrar in April by Valentin Lacambre, Laurent Chemla, Pierre Beyssac and David Nahmias;
- 2005: following internal struggles in management, ownership and management of Gandi was sold to a team led by Stephan Ramoin (formerly of MultiMania/Lycos), and investors Joe White, Eirik Pettersen (co-founders of the online website building service Moonfruit), and Warren Stephens;
- 2008: Gandi launched a Xen-based VPS cloud hosting service, based on a system of "shares" and scalable resources that can be adjusted in real time;
- 2010: the company created a subsidiary in the US, opening a data center in downtown Baltimore, Phoenix, Arizona and business offices in San Francisco, California, as well as creating a customer support center in the US, which until then had been exclusively operated out of Paris, France at Place de la Nation;
- 2011: at the late of the year, Gandi.net was the 25th largest registrar in terms of the number of domains registered;
- 2014: at 31 July, Amazon Web Services partnered with Gandi and announced the ability to register domains directly through their Route 53 Service.
- 2019: on 28 February, Gandi CEO Stephan Ramoin announced that private equity firm Montefiore Investments had acquired the company.
The company has a program to provide funds and/or promotion to projects and organizations that meet its criteria of "concrete", "open", and "alternative". It uses and advocates for open-source software, and since September 2010 has supported Creative Commons, providing them with free domain registrations and renewals, as well as VPS services.
Other projects that Gandi supports include (but not limited to) Electronic Frontier Foundation, Students for Free Culture, The Spamhaus Project, Debian, Let's Encrypt, Ubuntu, GNOME, FreeBSD, Dotclear, Mageia, Paris Web, World Wide Fund for Nature, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, VideoLAN, Adie, Canard PC, International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Demotix, GoodPlanet, Jamendo, In Libro Veritas, Arrêt sur Images le retour, Software Freedom Conservancy, Geeklist, FlISoL, Wikiotics, FluxBB.
- "gandi.net Site Overview". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- "Domain names and VPS Cloud hosting – Who is Gandi?". Gandi. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Ramoin, Stephan (16 February 2006). "The "How" after the "Why", Part I". Gandi Bar. Gandi. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
It’s the end of 2004 and I receive a telephone call from Laurent Chemla. He tells me that the shareholders, aware of their differences and therefore their incapacity to make Gandi evolve, have taken the decision to sell.
- "Portrait of Stephan Ramoin, President of Gandi SAS". Gandi. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Wendy. "Who is Gandi and why should I care?". www.gandibar.net. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- "Why choose Gandi for your hosting service? – Power on demand". Gandi. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Largest ICANN Registrars". webhosting.info. Archived from the original on 2014-02-09. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Registering Domain Names Using Amazon Route 53 – Amazon Route 53". docs.aws.amazon.com. Retrieved 2016-01-27.
- Ryan (2010-09-07). "Customer Support at Gandi: Evolution and Future". Gandi. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Gandi supports alternative projects". Gandi. Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- "Gandi GitHub repository". Retrieved 2014-02-08.
- Kinkade, Nathan (2010-09-13). "Gandi.net supports CC". Archived from the original on 2010-09-17.
- "Episode 0x3A: FOSDEM 2013: FOSS Code Goes In And Never Comes Out (time index ~ 1:00:00)". Software Freedom Conservancy. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2014-02-08.