One of two west coast Tasmania museums that house records and relics from the mining communities of the past, the museum is housed in a former 1897 constructed Imperial Hotel, which has also been a mining office and Youth Hostel.
As a repository of the historical photographs and materials from the history of Queenstown it contains collections that hold in some cases the last vestiges of the former mines and localities on the west coast.
The collection of photographs and text and materials relating to the 1912 North Mount Lyell Mining disaster is extensive.
- "The Imperial Hotel, Queenstown". Zeehan and Dundas Herald. VIII (58). Tasmania, Australia. 20 December 1897. p. 2. Retrieved 12 May 2016 – via National Library of Australia.
- The other Museum is the West Coast Pioneers Museum complex (now known as the West Coast Heritage Centre in Zeehan
- page 182 of Atkinson, Sue, (Museum consultant), (compiler.) (2012), Tasmania : island of treasures, 40 Degrees South, ISBN 978-0-9874468-1-7CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/100781/20090610-1630/hosting.collectionsaustralia.net/foundmade/instquery48f548f5.html Eric Thomas Galley Museum details in archived website
- Eric Thomas Galley Museum (Queenstown, Tas) (2005), The North Lyell Mining Disaster, Eric Thomas Galley Museum, retrieved 3 March 2012
- "Eric Thomas Galley Museum | Tasmanian History Groups".
- "Australia : 10 objects- 10 stories exhibition opens in Hobart", Mena Report, SyndiGate Media Inc, 29 April 2016, ISSN 2219-0112