Gabungan Parti Sarawak
Gabungan Parti Sarawak (unofficially translated as Sarawak Parties Coalition) or GPS is a Sarawak-based political alliance in Malaysia. It was established in 2018 by four former Barisan Nasional component parties following the coalition's defeat in the 2018 Malaysian general election. It is currently the third-largest bloc in the Dewan Rakyat and forms the government in the state of Sarawak.
|Chinese name||砂拉越政党联盟 Shālāyuè zhèngdǎng liánméng|
|Malay name||Gabungan Parti Sarawak ݢابوڠن ڤرتي سراوق|
|Chairman||Abang Abdul Rahman Zohari|
|Vice Chairmen||Sim Kui Hian |
Tiong King Sing
Joseph Salang Gandum
|Founder||Abang Abdul Rahman Zohari|
|Founded||12 June 2018|
|Legalised||19 November 2018|
|Split from||Barisan Nasional|
|Colours||Red and black|
|Slogan||Utamakan Sarawak (Sarawak First)|
"GPS Prioritises Sarawak"
3 / 70
18 / 222
|Sarawak State Legislative Assembly:|
72 / 82
The coalition was formed on 12 June 2018, consisting of the Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu (PBB), Sarawak United Peoples' Party (SUPP), Parti Rakyat Sarawak (PRS) and Progressive Democratic Party (PDP). The coalition focuses on the state's interests and rights based on the Malaysia Agreement and remain an opposition at the Pakatan Harapan (PH) federal government despite the readiness to "cooperate and collaborate". On 23 August 2018, its Chairman, Abang Abdul Rahman Zohari, announced that GPS has been registered and is awaiting the issuance of the official letter from the Registrar of Societies (RoS). The coalition was finally legalised on 19 November 2018.
Member parties and allied parties
|PBB||United Bumiputera Heritage Party
Parti Pesaka Bumiputera Bersatu
|National conservatism||Abang Abdul Rahman Zohari Abang Openg||14
13 / 222
13 / 19
|PRS||Sarawak Peoples' Party
Parti Rakyat Sarawak
|Centrism||James Jemut Masing||6
2 / 222
2 / 19
|PDP||Progressive Democratic Party
Parti Demokratik Progresif
|Regionalism||Tiong King Sing||4
2 / 222
2 / 19
|SUPP||Sarawak United Peoples' Party
Parti Rakyat Bersatu Sarawak
|Centrism||Sim Kui Hian||7
1 / 222
1 / 19
|PSB||Sarawak United Party
Parti Sarawak Bersatu
|Regionalism||Wong Soon Koh||N/A||N/A||N/A|
1 / 19
Dewan Negara (Senate)
- His Majesty's appointee:
- Paul Igai (PDP)
- Sarawak State Legislative Assembly:
- Nuing Jeluing (PBB)
- Zaiedi Suhaili (PBB)
Dewan Rakyat (House of Representatives)
Members of Parliament of the 14th Malaysian Parliament
Gabungan Parti Sarawak has 19 MPs in the House of Representatives. (With allied parties)
|P193||Santubong||Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar||PBB|
|P194||Petra Jaya||Fadillah Yusof||PBB|
|P197||Kota Samarahan||Rubiah Wang||PBB|
|P199||Serian||Richard Riot Jaem||SUPP|
|P200||Batang Sadong||Nancy Shukri||PBB|
|P201||Batang Lupar||Rohani Abdul Karim||PBB|
|P202||Sri Aman||Masir Kujat||PSB|
|P204||Betong||Robert Lawson Chuat||PBB|
|P206||Tanjong Manis||Yusuf Abd. Wahab||PBB|
|P207||Igan||Ahmad Johnie Zawasi||PBB|
|P210||Kanowit||Aaron Ago Dagang||PRS|
|P213||Mukah||Hanifah Hajar Taib||PBB|
|P215||Kapit||Alexander Nanta Linggi||PBB|
|P216||Hulu Rajang||Wilson Ugak Kumbong||PRS|
|P217||Bintulu||Tiong King Sing||PDP|
|P218||Sibuti||Lukanisman Awang Sauni||PBB|
|P222||Lawas||Henry Sum Agong||PBB|
Dewan Undangan Negeri (State Legislative Assembly)
Malaysian State Assembly Representatives
GPS state governments
|State||Leader type||Member||Party||State Constituency|
|Chief Minister||Abang Johari Openg||PBB||Satok|
- Hidir Reduan Abdul Rashid (19 November 2018). "Gabungan Parti Sarawak gets nod from RoS". New Straits Times. Yahoo! News Singapore. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- Samuel Aubrey; Abdul Hakim Bujang; Kim How Pin; Peter Boon (20 November 2018). "ROS officially approves GPS". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "It's 'Sarawak First That's GPS' development approach". New Sarawak Tribune. 29 November 2018. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Jeremy Veno (10 January 2019). "A guiding light for GPS". The Borneo Post. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
According to Abang Johari, the focal point of the GPS logo depicts the Kenyalang (hornbill) in the shape of an ‘S’ which reflects the vision and slogan of the party of putting ‘Sarawak First’.
- "GPS will be new platform for Sarawak Goverment [sic]". Bernama. Daily Express. 21 January 2019. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
The defeat of the Barisan Nasional (BN) government at the federal level after the general election last year saw BN component parties in the state forming the GPS with its slogan or catchphrase “Utamakan Sarawak” or “Sarawak First”.
- "Lirik Lagu GPS". Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- Sharon Ling; Geryl Ogilvy (12 June 2018). "Sarawak BN parties pull out of coalition to form independent state-based pact". The Star. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- "Malaysia's Sarawak State Government leaves Barisan Nasional: Statement". Bloomberg. The Edge Markets. 12 June 2018. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- Lee Poh Onn (15 June 2018). "Commentary: Free from the shackles of a fallen coalition, does Sarawak parties leaving spell the end of the Barisan Nasional?". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 15 June 2018.
- "Abang Jo: Gabungan Parti Sarawak is registered". Bernama. Free Malaysia Today. 23 August 2018. Retrieved 23 August 2018.