Gabriel Moushe Gawrieh
Gabriel Moushe Gawrieh
|Born||1962 57) (age|
|Political party||Assyrian Democratic Organization|
Gawrieh was born in Qamishli in 1962 to a Syriac Orthodox family. He studied Agricultural engineering at the University of Aleppo and graduated in 1982. He joined the Assyrian Democratic Organization where he eventually became one of its leaders in the 2000s.
Role in the Syrian Civil War
During the initial phase of the Syrian Civil War Gawrieh called for a peaceful democratic transition of power voicing support for non-violent demonstrations. He was one of the leading secular figures of the Damascus Declaration, he however refused to join the leftist National Coordination Committee for Democratic Change.
Gawrieh was arrested by Syrian authorities in Qamishli on 19 December 2013. His arrest was condemned by Assyrian organizations, human rights organizations, as well as other countries such as the United States.
Gawrieh was released by Syrian authorities on 22 June 2016. His release was applauded by the Syrian National Coalition and numerous Assyrian organisations.
On 12 April 2017, an official in the Movement for a Democratic Society (TEV-DEM) met with Gabriel Moushe Gawrieh and discussed the closure of two Assyrian Democratic Organization offices since March. It was the first time TEV-DEM officials met with the ADO.
- Ahmad, Hussein. "كبرئيل موشي : إنني متفائل بأن الشرق لابد أن يتجاوز محنته" (in Arabic). ADO. Archived from the original on 10 March 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "عنكاوا كوم" تحاور كبرئيل موشي كورية مسؤول المكتب السياسي للمنظمة الآثورية الديمقراطية وعضو الأمانة العامة لإعلان دمشق" (in Arabic). ADO. Archived from the original on 10 March 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Who's who: Gabriel Moshe Kourieh". Syrian Observer. 29 Jan 2014. Archived from the original on 22 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Psaki, Jen (3 March 2014). "Christians Under Threat in Syria". US Department of State. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "السلطات السورية تحتجز السيد كبرئيل موشي كورية مسؤول المكتب السياسي للمنظمة الآثورية الديمقراطية" (in Arabic). Committee for the Defence of Democracy Freedoms and Human Rights in Syria. 19 December 2013. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- Wladimir van Wilgenburg (13 April 2017). "Assyrian faction linked to Syrian opposition meets with Kurdish TEV-DEM after office closure". ARA News.