GE Dash 8-40BW
The Dash 8-40BW, or B40-8W, is a four-axle diesel locomotive built by GE Transportation Systems for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (ATSF) in the early 1990s. It is part of the GE Dash 8 Series of freight locomotives.
|GE Dash 8-40BW|
The locomotive model designation is interpreted as follows: B (B type truck arrangement, 2 axles per truck) 40 (4000 horsepower) -8 (the generation when it was designed, in this case meaning the late 1980s) W (Widecab).
ATSF was the only railroad to order the B40-8W, and a B unit (cabless booster unit) was almost made with it, but because the price would have been the same for B40-8Ws with cabs or without, they decided to order units with cabs only.
All of ATSF's B40-8Ws became part of BNSF Railway, and many of them were repainted into BNSF's "Heritage 2" paint scheme, although several units still retain their "Warbonnet" paint scheme from their previous careers with ATSF.
While originally built for high-speed intermodal service, by the mid-2000s the B40-8Ws had been bumped to local service.
In mid-2010, BNSF put 15 B40-8Ws up for sale. These units were on long-term lease and were returned to their lessor. Four units have been sold to the Providence and Worcester Railroad in Massachusetts. The PW sold one of their B40-8Ws to the Arkansas-Oklahoma Railroad. The rest of BNSF's B40-8W fleet is, as of 2019, undergoing rebuild and refreshment at GE as preparation for their new role as local freight units.
|Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway||83||500-582||576 destroyed in Cajon pass in 1994|
|General Electric||1||809||wide cab prototype and testbed, rebuilt from B39-8E #808|
|Railroad||Quantity||Former ATSF/BNSF Numbers|
|BNSF Railway||60||Ex-Santa Fe; no's 500-559|
|Providence and Worcester Railroad||3||Ex-BNSF 561, 562 and 582|
|Nashville and Eastern Railroad||4||Ex-BNSF 568, 573, 574 and 579|
|Arkansas - Oklahoma Railroad||3||Ex-BNSF 567, 578, and 581|
|Great Western Railway of Saskatchewan||2||Ex-BNSF 575 and 563|
- "All Time P&W Roster". Providence & Worcester Railfan Club & Museum. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- DelliCarpini, Steve (October 11, 2016). "Providence & Worcester". The Diesel Shop. Retrieved February 6, 2017.
- "The Providence & Worcester Railroad". American-Rails.com. Retrieved February 7, 2017.
- McDonnell, Greg (2008). Locomotives: The Modern Diesel and Electric Reference. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mills Press. ISBN 978-1550464931.
- Solomon, Brian (2003). GE Locomotives: 110 Years of General Electric Motive Power. St. Paul, MN, USA: MBI Publishing. ISBN 9780760313619.
- Solomon, Brian (2010). Modern Locomotives: High Horsepower Diesels 1966–2000. New York: Crestline. ISBN 978-0785826811.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GE B40-8W locomotives.|