GE Dash 8-32B
The GE Dash 8-32B (also classified as B32-8 or D8-32B by some railroad companies) is a 4-axle 3,150 hp (2,350 kW) diesel-electric locomotive built by GE Transportation Systems between 1984 and 1989. It is part of the GE Dash 8 Series of freight locomotives.
|GE Dash 8-32B|
NS #3524 (Dash 8-32B) at NS Hinman Yard.
A total of 49 examples of the Dash 8-32B model were built for North American railroads. The model is a 12-cylinder version of the (16 cylinder) Dash 8-40B(W) and is powered by GE's 7FDL engine.
In 2013, Norfolk Southern donated B32-8 number 3563 to the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society of North East, Pennsylvania. Then, in May 2017, the Everett Railroad purchased Dash 8-32B number 561 (formerly 3561) from Norfolk Southern.
As of June 2016, all units still on the roster are pending disposition.
|Burlington Northern Railroad||3||5497-5499||Returned to GE|
|General Electric (demonstrator/testbed)||1||832|
|Norfolk Southern||45||3522-3566||Units were renumbered to the 500 series in September and October 2013. 3563 was retired after an engine failure, and was donated to the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society. 561 (ex-3561) was sold to the Everett Railroad, and delivered by NS Local CB-10 on May 25th, 2017.|
- "Rolling Stock of LSRHS: Norfolk Southern #3563". Lake Shore Railway Historical Society.
- Lake Shore Railway Historical Society (May 15, 2013). "Norfolk Southern Railway Donates Erie-built GE Locomotive". Railway Preservation News (Press release).
- McDonnell, Greg (2008). Locomotives: The Modern Diesel and Electric Reference. Erin, Ontario: Boston Mills Press. ISBN 978-1550464931.
- Solomon, Brian (2003). GE Locomotives: 110 Years of General Electric Motive Power. St. Paul, MN, USA: MBI Publishing. ISBN 9780760313619.
- Solomon, Brian (2010). Modern Locomotives: High Horsepower Diesels 1966–2000. New York: Crestline. ISBN 978-0785826811.