GENUKI is a genealogy web portal, run as a charitable trust. It "provides a virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland". It gives access to a large collection of information, with the emphasis on primary sources, or means to access them, rather than on existing genealogical research.
The UK and Ireland are regarded, for the purposes of this Genealogical Information Service, as being made up of England, Ireland (i.e. Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland), Wales, and Scotland, together with the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. Together, these constitute the British Isles - which is a geographical term for a group of islands lying off the north-west coast of mainland Europe. (Legally, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are largely self governing, and are not part of the United Kingdom.)
The website has a well defined structure at four levels.
- The first level is information that is common to all "the United Kingdom and Ireland".
- The next level has information for each of England (see example) Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
- The third level has information on each pre-1974 county of England and Wales, each of the pre-1975 counties of Scotland, each of the 32 counties of Ireland and each island of the Channel Islands (e.g. Cheshire, County Kerry and Guernsey).
- The fourth level has information on each town or parish (e.g. Antrobus, Cheshire).
In some instances GENUKI pages include actual information, but more often they provide links to sources of information, either as online links or by providing information about hard copy publications or repositories. For many locations, a description is quoted from an old (and therefore out-of-copyright) gazetteer. As GENUKI is maintained solely by volunteers, the level of detail varies in different parts of the site. Material on the GENUKI website is copyright, and also protected by UK database right, and it must only be used for personal research and not copied onto other websites.
- "(Home page)". GENUKI. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "The United Kingdom and Ireland". GENUKI. 2008-07-17. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- "England". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "Cheshire". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "County Kerry". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "Guernsey". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "Antrobus". GENUKI. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "British Isles Genealogy: Genuki Contents & Site Map". GENUKI. 2007-12-15. Retrieved 2008-07-31.
- "Copyright and Disclaimer". GENUKI. 2007-02-26. Retrieved 2008-07-31.