Full of Hell (band)
Full of Hell is an American grindcore band from Ocean City, Maryland and Central Pennsylvania, formed in 2009. They are currently signed to Relapse Records. They have released 4 studio albums – Roots of Earth Are Consuming My Home (2011), Rudiments of Mutilation (2013), Trumpeting Ecstasy (2017), and Weeping Choir (2019) – as well as 3 full-length collaborations – Full of Hell & Merzbow (2014) with Japanese noise artist Merzbow and One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache (2016) and Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light (2017) with sludge metal band the Body – aside from numerous EPs and splits.
Full of Hell
Dylan Walker performing with Full of Hell in Greensboro, North Carolina in April 2015
|Origin||Ocean City, Maryland and Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Labels||Profound Lore, A389, Neurot, Closed Casket Activities Relapse|
|Past members||Brandon Brown
The band formed in 2009. Since then, they have signed to A389 Recordings and Profound Lore Records, releasing three full-length albums. Their first album, titled Roots of Earth Are Consuming My Home, was released in 2011. Their second album, titled Rudiments of Mutilation was released in 2013. Their third album, a collaboration with Japanese noise artist Merzbow, was released in 2014.
In 2015, original bassist Brandon Brown left the band. He was replaced by Sam DiGristine of Jarhead Fertilizer—an associated act that also features Brown, as well as drummer Dave Bland. Dylan Walker and Spencer Hazard follow a straight edge lifestyle, while Bland is the only vegan.
On January 8, 2016, Full of Hell released a four-song EP titled Amber Mote in the Black Vault through Bad Teeth Recordings. The release featured three original tracks and a cover of Melvins' track "Oven," originally released on their 1989 album Ozma. Describing their reasoning for selecting this track, the band explained: "We had been wanting to cover a Melvins song for years, and 'Oven' had always been one of our top choices. We've always been very inspired by the Melvins on every level—a totally unique and uncompromising band that has always worked their asses off. They are a band that's undefinable but always recognizable. Totally brilliant. With past covers that we've done, we've always deviated from the source material, but this time we chose to stick close to the original sound and tempo."
Full of Hell began plotting to follow up Full of Hell & Merzbow with another collaborative album with avant-garde metal band the Body after a successful 2015 tour together. The two acts expected to head into the studio together to record an album without previously writing any material. Titled One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache, the collaboration album was released on March 25, 2016 through Neurot Recordings—a label founded by members of Neurosis and Tribes of Neurot.
- Brandon Brown – bass, backing vocals (2009–2015)
- Roots of Earth Are Consuming My Home (2011)
- Rudiments of Mutilation (2013)
- Full of Hell & Merzbow (collaboration with Merzbow) (2014)
- One Day You Will Ache Like I Ache (collaboration with the Body) (2016)
- Trumpeting Ecstasy (2017)
- Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light (collaboration with the Body) (2017)
- Weeping Choir (2019)
- Savage (2009)
- The Inevitable Fear of Existence (2010)
- F.O.H. Noise (2011)
- F.O.H. Noise: Vol. 2 (2011)
- F.O.H. Noise: Vol. 3 (2012)
- F.O.H. Noise: Vol. 4 (2013)
- Amber Mote in the Black Vault (2015)
- Live at Roadburn (2016)
- Simpson, Paul. "Full of Hell – Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
Full of Hell are an American power-violence band whose sound ranges from blistering grindcore to brutal sludge metal, with ventures into experimental noise.
- Pessaro, Fred. "Old Souls With Piercing Noise: Stream The New Full Of Hell / Merzbow Collaboration". Vice. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- O'Connor, Andy (December 3, 2014). "Merzbow / Full of Hell - Full of Hell & Merzbow". Pitchfork. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- Luedtke, Christopher (23 May 2019). "Album Review: FULL OF HELL Weeping Choir". Metal Injection. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- Falzon, Denise. "Full of Hell". Exclaim. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- "FULL OF HELL: Sign To Relapse Records". Relapse Records. February 13, 2018.
- Thomas, Fred. "The Body". Allmusic. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Full of Hell – 'Roots Of Earth Are Consuming My Home' (full album stream)". Brooklyn Vegan. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Consterdine, John. "Full Of Hell streaming 'Rudiments Of Mutilation'". Terrorizer. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- Pessaro, Fred. "Old Souls with Piercing Noise: Stream the New Full of Hell / Merzbow Collaboration". Vice. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- LaSala, Tom (February 21, 2016). "Q&A: SPENCER HAZARD of Full Of Hell". The Acid Awakening. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- "Anonymous asked:Are you straight edge/vegan?". Fullofhell.com. August 8, 2012. Retrieved May 11, 2016.
- Kelly, Kim (December 8, 2015). "Listen to Full of Hell Lay Waste to the Melvins' Deep Cut 'Oven'". Noisey. Vice. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Cool, Toby (March 18, 2015). "Meaningless Pain: An Interview With Full Of Hell". The Quietus. Retrieved May 25, 2015.
- Adams, Gregory (January 7, 2015). "Full of Hell and the Body Team Up for Collaborative Album". Exclaim!. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Hugh, Gabe. "Full of Hell – Full of Hell & Merzbow". Hellbound. Retrieved December 18, 2014.