The Freeman Hospital is an 800-bed tertiary referral centre in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. The hospital is managed by the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and is a teaching hospital for the University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
|Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
Entrance to Freeman Hospital
Location in Newcastle upon Tyne
Location in Tyne and Wear
|Location||Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
|Care system||NHS England|
|Affiliated university||Newcastle University Medical School|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The Freeman Hospital, which was designed by Newcastle Regional Hospital Department and built by John Laing, was completed in 1977, when services from several hospitals across the city were relocated into one centre. The name of the hospital recalls the life of Patrick Freeman, a tenant farmer, who, with his son, tilled the land which is now occupied by the hospital in the first half of the 19th century.
A major expansion of the site, including a new renal services centre and a new cancer treatment centre, known as the new Northern Centre for Cancer Care, was procured under a Private Finance Initiative contract in 2005. It was built by Laing O'Rourke at a cost of £150 million and opened in 2009.
The hospital is one of the main organ transplantation hospitals in the United Kingdom, mostly well known for its successful rates of infant cardiology and transplantation for adults. In 1987 the UK's first paediatric heart transplant was carried out on Kaylee Davidson-Olley, at the Freeman. It is funded and designated by the government as the UK's third transplant hospital. It made history when both the first successful single and double lung transplants in Europe were carried out at the hospital in 1990. The Freeman is the location of the Institute of Transplantation.
The Northern Cancer Centre is also home to the Bobby Robson clinical trials unit which specialises in oncology clinical trials.
- Ross, Peter (1 December 1978). "Freeman Hospital, Newcastle-upon-Tyne" (PDF). Arup Journal. p. 21. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- "Search the archives | Hospital Records| Details". The National Archives. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- "Patrick Freeman II (1816-1894) and Patrick Freeman III (1845-1888)". Jesmond Old Cemetery. Retrieved 8 September 2018.
- "City gets £300m hospitals revamp (the cost was £300 million in total across two hospitals)". BBC. 28 April 2005. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Equion signs major Newcastle hospital contract worth £300m". John Laing plc. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Northern Centre for Cancer Care". Newcastle Hospitals. Retrieved 8 July 2017.
- Morton, Dave (15 October 2015). Newcastle in the Headlines. Amberley Publishing Limited. ISBN 9781445647791.
- "30th anniversary of the Freeman Hospital's heart and lung transplant programme". Newcastle Hospitals. 7 May 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Welcome". Institute of Transplantation. Retrieved 13 January 2017.
- "Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre". Newcastle University. Retrieved 13 January 2018.