|The Capital Region (Denmark)|
|Location||Frederiksberg, Capital Region, Denmark|
|Hospital type||Teaching , General|
|Affiliated university||University of Copenhagen|
The hospital was inaugurated 1903 as a replacement for the city’s older hospital that had become too small.
During World War II the German occupying power seized part of the hospital, the so-called tyske lazaret på Nyelandsvej, where a number of wounded members of the resistance died in German custody.
The hospital grew with the city until 1970 where it housed 1,000 beds. Since then, it has become more specialized and as a result, the number of beds has decreased. The hospital sorts under Region Hovedstaden since January 1, 2007. Prior to this date, the hospital was part of the formal network of hospitals in the greater Copenhagen area (Hovedstadens Sygehusfællesskab), where each hospital specializes in a number of disciplines.