Frederick Arthur Round Emney
12 February 1900
|Died||25 December 1980 80) (aged|
Emney was born in Prescot, Lancashire, the son of Blanche (née Round) and Fred Emney, a music hall entertainer. His great-uncle was the actor Arthur Williams. Emney junior grew up in London and was educated at Cranleigh School.
He made his film debut in 1935, having previously worked in music hall. He became a familiar figure to screen audiences, usually playing the "posh fat bloke", usually gruff and invariably wearing a monocle. During the 1950s, he had his own television show which featured sketches and deft piano pieces often composed by him. Some were released on record. He had a short spell as straight man to puppets Pinky and Perky.
- A Man of Mayfair (1931) - (uncredited)
- Brewster's Millions (1935) - Freddy
- Come Out of the Pantry (1935) - Lord Axminster
- The Lilac Domino (1937) - Baron Ladislas de Gonda
- Let's Make a Night of It (1938) - Henry Boydell
- Jane Steps Out (1938) - General Wilton
- Hold My Hand (1938) - Lord Milchester
- Luck of the Navy (1938) - Cook
- Just like a Woman (1939) - Sir Charles Devoir
- Yes, Madam? (1939) - Sir Charles Drake-Drake
- She Couldn't Say No (1940) - Herbert
- The Middle Watch (1940) - Adm. Sir Reginald Hewett
- Just William (1940) - Mr. Brown
- Let the People Sing (1942) - Sir George Denberry-Baxter
- Fun at St. Fanny's (1955) - Dr. Jankers
- The Fast Lady (1962) - 1st Golfer
- A Home of Your Own (1964) - The Mayor
- Father Came Too! (1964) - Sir Francis Drake
- I've Gotta Horse (1965) - Lord Bentley
- Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines (1965) - Colonel
- San Ferry Ann (1965) - Gourmet
- Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965) - Man in Soho
- The Sandwich Man (1966) - Sir Mervyn Moleskin
- Oliver! (1968) - Workhouse Chairman
- The Assassination Bureau (1969) - Elevator Victim (uncredited)
- Lock Up Your Daughters! (1969) - Earl of Ware
- The Italian Job (1969) - Birkinshaw
- The Magic Christian (1969) - Fitzgibbon
- Under the Table You Must Go (1969) - Himself (documentary)
- Doctor in Trouble (1970) - Father
- Up the Chastity Belt (1971) - Mortimer
- Mistress Pamela (1974) - Dr. Livesey
- The Amorous Milkman (1975) - Magistrate
- Adventures of a Private Eye (1977) - Sir Basil (final film role)
- "Fred Emney".
- GRO Register of Births Mar 1900 Frederick Arthur R Emney 8b 725 PRESCOT
- 1901 Census: RG13/500 f.123 p.3 Fred Arthur Emney aged 1 living in Camberwell, but born Liverpool, Lancashire
- "Fred Emney - Oxford Reference". Cite journal requires
- "Fred Emney - Cranleigh School 1865". 1865.cranleigh.org.
- "Fred Emney - Biography, Movie Highlights and Photos - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- McCabe, Bob (26 May 2005). "Ronnie Barker: The Authorized Biography". BBC Books – via Google Books.
- Fred Emney an extended play released on UK Decca (DFE 6554) in 1958
- "For the Children: Children's Television in the UK". www.forthechildren.org.uk.
- "Production of The Flying Trapeze – Theatricalia". theatricalia.com.
- GRO Register of Deaths: DEC 1980 18 1714 CHICHESTER – Frederick Patrick R. Emney, DoB = 12 Feb 1900