Franuel "Frankie" Amaya (born September 26, 2000) is an American soccer player who plays for MLS side FC Cincinnati. Amaya was the first overall draft pick of the 2019 MLS SuperDraft, and the first first-overall pick to be born in the 2000s. Amaya played one year of college soccer for UCLA and prior to UCLA, played club soccer with Pateadores SC, a premier youth club in Southern California.
|Full name||Franuel Amaya|
|Date of birth||September 27, 2000|
|Place of birth||Santa Ana, California, United States|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|2019||→ Orange County SC (loan)||2||(0)|
|2018–||United States U20||4||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 7, 2019|
Youth and college
Amaya played club soccer for Pateadores SC in Orange County, California. With the club, he helped the team win the region's West Conference and was named the West Conference Best XI. Ahead of the 2018 NCAA Division I men's soccer season, Amaya was listed as a four-star recruit by TopDrawerSoccer.com, and ranked number six overall in the IMG Academy Top 150 for his graduating class. Amaya was also listed by TDS has the number one club player in Southern California, and the number four midfielder nationally.
During the 2018 season, Amaya, made 14 appereances with UCLA, 10 of which were starts. Amaya made his college soccer debut on August 24, 2018 against Coastal Carolina. With UCLA, Amaya scored twice, with his first goal coming on September 22, 2018 against UC Santa Barbara in a 1–3 loss. Amaya tallied two assists on the season with his first coming on August 28, 2018 against UC San Diego, and his second coming on October 13, 2018 against San Diego State. Amaya did not appear for any more matches with UCLA after October 28, as he joined the U.S. under 20s for the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship.
At the conclusion of the 2018 Pac-12 Conference men's soccer season, Amaya was honored with Freshman All-American, First Team All-Pac-12, and Second Team All-Far West Region honors.
On January 4, 2019, Amaya signed a Generation adidas contract with Major League Soccer forgoing his final three years of college eligibility. On January 11, 2019, he was drafted first overall in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft by FC Cincinnati.
Amaya made his debut with the United States men's national under-20 soccer team on March 21, 2018 against France. He was also named to the squad for the 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in November 2018.
- Danneman, Joe (January 11, 2019). "FC Cincinnati selects Frankie Amaya with top pick". WXIX-TV. Gray Television. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Carlisle, Jeff (January 11, 2019). "FC Cincinnati selects UCLA's Frankie Amaya with top pick in MLS SuperDraft". ESPN. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Creditor, Avi (January 11, 2019). "UCLA's Frankie Amaya Goes No. 1 to FC Cincinnati in 2019 MLS SuperDraft". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- Scoby, Ashley. "MLS SuperDraft: FC Cincinnati selects Frankie Amaya No. 1 overall". ProSoccerUSA.com. Retrieved January 12, 2019.
- "U.S. Soccer YNT on Twitter: He just received his first U-20 #USMNT cap. Say hello to @Pateadores_ midfielder Frankie Amaya, and learn how futsal and the @ussoccer_acad has helped him succeed". Twitter. U.S. Soccer. March 22, 2018. Retrieved January 11, 2019.
- "U-20 Mnt Head Coach Tab Ramos Names 20-player Roster for 2018 Concacaf Under-20 Championship". ussoccer.com. U.S. Soccer. October 22, 2018. Retrieved January 11, 2019.