Frank Cyril Tiarks
He was a son of Henry Frederick Tiarks (London, 23 December 1832 - Foxbury, Chislehurst, 18 October 1911), a banker, and wife (London, 11 September 1862) Agnes Morris (Oxford, July/September 1840 - 1923), paternal grandson of Johann Gerhard Tiarks (Jever, 25 May 1798 - Tottenham, 8 March 1858), Chaplain of the Duchess of Kent, and wife (London, 20 October 1825) Emily Phipps (London, 26 May 1798 - London, 6 March 1841), daughter of Josiah Phipps, and great-grandson of Johann Gerhard Tiarks and wife Christine Dorothea Ehrentraut.
Educated on HMS Britannia 1887-89, and served as midshipman in the Royal Navy 1889-94. Resigned his commission following the death of his elder brother, to join his father in business. Among his appointments were a directorship of the Bank of England (1912-1945); a partnership in J. Henry Schröder & Co.; a partnership in the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (1917-1948); and High Sheriff of Kent for 1927. See http://www.tiarks.co.uk for genealogy information.
Marriage and issue
Tiarks married in Hamburg on 18 November 1899 Emmie (Emmy) Marie Franziska Brödermann of Hamburg, Germany (15 February 1875 – 27 July 1943), daughter of Eduard Matthias Brödermann (Hamburg, 27 February 1842 - Hamburg, 28 February 1904), merchant, and wife (Hamburg, 3 May 1872) Ramona Luisa Clara Ignacia Störzel (Grabow, 2 June 1852 - Hamburg, 24 June 1939); paternal granddaughter of Carl Matthias Brödermann (Hamburg, 28 April 1789 - Eimsbüttel, 10 June 1854), a merchant, married firstly in Havana on 16 March 1828 Anna Oom (Lisbon, 1 September 1787 - Hamburg, 28 February 1837), and second wife (Hamburg, 18 December 1838) Marianne Kunhardt (Hamburg, 10 March 1815 - Eimsbüttel, 23 February 1882) and maternal granddaughter of Heinrich Eduard Störzel (Grabow, 26 September 1819 - Hamburg, 2 April 1885) and wife (Durango, Mexico, 15 December 1847) María Ramona Redo Balmaseda (Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio, 14 October 1830 - Brannenburg, 23 October 1914); and great-granddaughter of Johann Hinrich Brödermann, Bürger and shipbroker, and wife Anna Senglemann, Georg Wilhelm Kunhardt and wife Anna Maria Schultz and Diego Redo and wife María Francisca Balmaseda.
- Burke’s Landed Gentry, 1952 ed., sub Tiarks of Foxbury
- C.A.H. Franklyn, Genealogy of the Family of Tiarks of Foxbury, Edinburgh, 1969
- Nicholas Mander, "Borromean Rings: The Genealogy of the Mander Family", Owlpen, 2011.
- Koerner, Dr jur B., with Cutteroth, U.W., and Will, T., Deutsches Geschlechterbuch (Genealogisches Handbuch Bürglicher Familien): Hamburger Geschlechterbuch, band 36, Goerlitz, 1929.
- Stammtafel der Familie Brödermann, nach einer auf dem hamburgischen Staatsarchiv befindlichen Aufzeichnung und nach anderen Quellen, Hamburg [privately printed], Sept. 1908 [with revisions to 1912]