Busch began his coaching career at age 16 in Edgewood, Kentucky. After seven years in summer league coaching at Brookwood Swim Club and four years of AAU coaching for the Northern Kentucky Piranhas, he joined the staff of the Cincinnati Marlins for the 1979–80 season as the Associate Head Coach. The Marlins won the National Team Championship that season and placed six swimmers on the 1980 United States Olympic Team.
From 1980 to 1989, Busch coached at the University of Cincinnati. From 1989 to 2011, he served as the swimming head coach for the Arizona Wildcats at the University of Arizona. His swimmers won 49 NCAA individual titles, 31 NCAA relay titles, and 2 NCAA team championships. While at Arizona, he also led Tucson Ford Aquatics (previously Hillenbrand Aquatics) to several national team championships.
In May 2011, Busch began serving as USA Swimming's National Team Director, providing the overall vision and leadership for the sport's top coaches and athletes. Under his tenure, USA Swimming won 31 medals at the London Games (2012) and 33 medals at the Rio Games (2016). In both of these Summer Games, USA Swimming's successful campaigns represented 30% of Team USA's total medal count.
During his collegiate coaching career, Busch was named Coach of the Year by the NCAA six times, Pac-10 11 times, USA Swimming (in 1998), and the USOC (1998). In 2008, he was inducted into the ASCA Hall of Fame.
Busch is married (Patrice).
- Busch's bio from the Arizona Wildcats' website (www.arionawildcats.com); published 2010; retrieved 2011-07-07;
- USA Swimming hires Arizona coach for top job by Beth Harris, AP Sports Writer. Published by USA Today on 2011-02-02; retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Koch, Bill (March 17, 1987). "Despite disadvantages, UC swimmers are top-notch". The Cincinnati Post. E. W. Scripps Company. p. 4C – via NewsBank.
But Frank Busch, in his seventh season as swimming coach at the University of Cincinnati, doesn’t complain about the small Laurence Hall pool he must use. … “We have our work cut out for us right now,” said Busch, a graduate of Covington Catholic High School.
- Former Swimming & Diving Coach Frank Busch Named U.S. National Team Director from GoBearcats.com, website of the University of Cincinnati Athletics; published 2011-02-02, retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Hall of Fame subpage of the ASCA website (www.swimmingcoach.org); retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Frank Busch named USA Swimming National Team Director, published by USA Swimming on 2011-02-02; retrieved 2011-07-07.
- "Frank Busch to be named USA Swimming National Team Director; USA Swimming Confirms With Press Release". Swimming World Magazine. Retrieved 3 February 2011.